Good used 4-door cars? Opinions please...

Bam

Ok, so I'm looking for a 4-door compact car. I am looking to spend around 5 grand for it. I want something that gets good gas mileage, pretty cheap/easy to fix, and reliable. I want looking at 96+ Honda Civic sedans, a Subaru LX AWD sedan, and some Ford's. I don't really care about options on the cars, as long as the car had good AC/heat. 5-spds are a plus, and so are semi-cool looking cars, lol. Most that I want to spend at all is 7,000. Hatchbacks and coupes are also and option but kids aren't easy to get put in those.

If you don't mind posting about what all the cars are out there for what I'm looking for and want to spend. Maybe some pros and cons on certain cars. Etc, etc.

Thanks

Matt

Guest Ranger_Man

its not a compact but you may want to check out mid 90s lexus'. usually all leather interiors, and decently good looking exteriors. most of them have an inline 6 in them which will last longer than the frame of the car, if cared for.

if you are looking for a car to modify i would recommend staying away from 4 door compacts. however, its not a compact but you may be able to find the early GTPs for your price range. im not real sure about that though.

Why stay away from 4-door compacts if I am looking to modify? They don't weigh anymore...oh, sorry forgot the 35-50lbs but seriously why?

Also, why a Regal GS?

Volvo's don't interest me or Lexus because of the elevated repair costs.

Thanks,

Matt

Basically I need a four door because my gf is pregnant... smile.gif

Guest Ranger_Man
Originally posted by 2.8GTI:

Why stay away from 4-door compacts if I am looking to modify? They don't weigh anymore...oh, sorry forgot the 35-50lbs but seriously why?

Also, why a Regal GS?

Volvo's don't interest me or Lexus because of the elevated repair costs.

Thanks,

Matt

Basically I need a four door because my gf is pregnant... smile.gif

i would have told you to stay away from 2 door compacts for modding as well.

now that i know more of the situation, i vote that you save the money you would have spent and put it in a trust fund for your kids education.

I'm not planning on modding it, I just wanted to know why you recommend that. I am very worried about my future/our future and thinking very seriously about it. I guess I'm not worried I just think a lot and like to plan things out. This is another reason for me to selling my GTI, Its too nice of a car for me right now, the leather will get ripped from the baby seat, and its worth quite a bit that I would like to get money out of it, put most in savings and spend a few grand on a car that's cheap and gets good gas mileage. This VR6 isnt horrible but isnt good either.

Either way, thanks for you input.

Matt

I'm not planning on modding it, I just wanted to know why you recommend that. I am very worried about my future/our future and thinking very seriously about it. I guess I'm not worried I just think a lot and like to plan things out. This is another reason for me to selling my GTI, Its too nice of a car for me right now, the leather will get ripped from the baby seat, and its worth quite a bit that I would like to get money out of it, put most in savings and spend a few grand on a car that's cheap and gets good gas mileage. This VR6 isnt horrible but isnt good either.

Either way, thanks for you input.

Matt

You're going to make a very good father. Good luck! graemlins/thumb.gif

Leather will NOT tear from kids' seats. I would HIGHLY recommend leather interior because it resists stains much better than cloth. I have 5 nieces under the age of 4 and I've trekked them around in my wife's Passat. Trust me on this...food and goop come out much easier on leather.

I would highly recomend a used Maxima. I NEVER had a problem with mine, nor did a lot of people that owned one. They are very sporty, surprisingly roomy, and incredibly reliable. Plus, they can be had with a 5 speed. For 5k, look for a 95-97 model.

Thanks Republicant, I sure hope so.

Zeitgeist57 - I just figured sharp edges equal No-No for the leather. Maxima's huh? Never came to my mind, thanks, I'll be checking those out.

Keep the suggestions coming, very much appreciated.

Matt

How about a 97-99 A4 1.8T. Find one that's recently had the timing belt done and you're good to go. My 99 is about to reach 120K, still on the origional turbo...been chipped since 30K and has never missed a beat with regular oil changes and maintenance. If you can find a FWD as opposed to a quattro they're even easier on gas and maintenance costs. Plus the leatherette in the 1.8T is durable and easy to keep clean.

Just my .02 on the matter

While that'd be sweet, is it really possible to find one for 5 or so thousand? Plus aren't they usually pretty costly to repair? I'm not dismissing the idea, I absolutely love those cars, but I'm just skeptical on the cost of them.

Matt

but you may be able to find the early GTPs for your price range. im not real sure about that though.
stay away from the early GTPs, the 3.4 DOHC had many problems. very costly to fix.

The 3.8 S/C is a reliable motor, they do not require 93 all the time, just when you beat on it. You can run 89 safely on highway and around town.

Good point, and I pay for premium now and for what's it been it's not worth it for me. So those cars are out of the question. I guess I'm not really looking for a fast car right now in my life as I am looking for a safe, reliable car that will be cheap to drive and maintain. I want to get a bike really bad and I thought I was at the point where I could justify picking one up and then this happens! lol, oh well, I think I'll be alright. smile.gif

Thanks guys,

Matt

Any more suggestions?

Good point, and I pay for premium now and for what's it been it's not worth it for me. So those cars are out of the question. I guess I'm not really looking for a fast car right now in my life as I am looking for a safe, reliable car that will be cheap to drive and maintain. I want to get a bike really bad and I thought I was at the point where I could justify picking one up and then this happens! lol, oh well, I think I'll be alright. smile.gif

Thanks guys,

Matt

Any more suggestions?

2.0 Jetta?, Maxima? Accord? All of America's four doors drink to much gas.

B.T.W., is this Matt Stacks?

No this isn't Matt Stacks, and some cars do better than other. I'm leaning towards Honda, Acura, or Nissan's as of now. Mainly because they are all good long lasting cars, some with excellent mpg's. I've thought about a 2.0 Jetta because then I can switch all my mods over, well almost, but I just don't know if I want to stick with a VW.

Originally posted by Zeitgeist57:

I would highly recomend a used Maxima. I NEVER had a problem with mine, nor did a lot of people that owned one. They are very sporty, surprisingly roomy, and incredibly reliable. Plus, they can be had with a 5 speed. For 5k, look for a 95-97 model.

+1 on the MAXIMA ! :>

EDIT: if you ever eventually want to mod: Pop on a used SC kit for a couple thousand. You could easily run 7 PSI with no mods. The VQ can handle higher PSI as a daily driver. You would need to upgrade the fuel delivery though. :>

EDIT2: the maxima takes 91 octane according the the manual. I usually just fill up on the gas sale days when premium is discounted. There are many gas stations around town that discount 91,92, and 94 several times a week. I "think" I filled up on 94 last night for $1.85 a gallon.

Some people use less than that and do not ping, but I do not chance it.

[ 15. September 2004, 10:26 AM: Message edited by: Prodeje79 ]

Guest xxxyyyzzz

Two words: Crown Vic :D

www.usedcopcars.com

www.kcpolicecars.com

Lots of room, vinyl rear seat, rubber floor...

Not to mention spotlight, getting waved through speedtraps, having traffic around you get the hell out of the way...

Gas mileage..? Okay, that sucks but it'll run on 86 Sunoco and you can get 200k+ miles out of it.

Just don't add a pushbar, strobes, wig-wag, etc. Nobody should ever be "that guy".

EDIT: both sites are a little slow and buggy today, but generally are pretty good.

I've been pretty pleased with my Caddy. It is a v-8, and doesn't get quite the milage that I'd like, but parts are relatively inexpensive, it is front wheel drive, looks pretty classy, has leather interior (a first for me, but with 2 kids in car seats, I feel it is a must now), and lots of power stuff. I'm kind of anal about the car seats in the back myself, but I just put towels down on the bottom cushion before the seats go in. The other thing about my car is that for the options and everything, they're very inexpensive to purchase. I've owned mine for over a year, have about a grand in misc. repair and maintenance costs, and am still far from your 5k price cap. 5-10 year old GM luxury cars are pretty good as cheap, relatively easy to maintain, family cars. BTW, I'm not selling mine because I'm not happy with it, I just want another "fun" car.

I'll have a car up for sale in less than a week that appears to meet your criteria. Mercury Mystique, which is the same as the Ford Contour, 4 door, V6, AC, power windows and locks, I think power seats. Cloth interior. Not sure of the milage, but it's reasonable, and I BELIEVE it's a '94. If you are at all interested, I should have all the info on it sometime this week. I'm asking $3,000 or best offer for it.

I would suggest 98+ Neon. I just got rid of my 97 2 weekends ago had almost 100K on it and the only problem I had was a bad headgasket. The headgasket problems were fixed with the 98 year cars so that is why I suggested it. 98 and 99 came with 132hp SOHC 2.0 and 150hp DOHC. Has 2 options of 5-speeds, 3.55 and 3.94 (performance). I know many that got around 38-40 mpg with there DOHC 5-speed I got consistant 34 mph with my DOHC ATX.

2000+ came with the same 132 SOHC 2.0 and in the R/T's and ACR's came with a 150hp Magnium SOHC 2.0.

You can easily get a 98-2001 for less than $5K and some 2002-2003 for $7K. Just need to look for a newer one for that cheap.

Originally posted by copperhead:

I'll have a car up for sale in less than a week that appears to meet your criteria. Mercury Mystique, which is the same as the Ford Contour, 4 door, V6, AC, power windows and locks, I think power seats. Cloth interior. Not sure of the milage, but it's reasonable, and I BELIEVE it's a '94. If you are at all interested, I should have all the info on it sometime this week. I'm asking $3,000 or best offer for it.

'95 was the first year for the Con-tique. Is it the SE comparable model with alum. rims? Manual or auto? My wife has a '95 SE V6 and it has been an outstanding car. My only gripe is with the auto trans. Feels like it absolutely chokes all the performance out of the car.