Saw a fellow AE86...

Kuruma

Hey Nismo, was that your SR5 I saw at the polls today? I saw an *EXTREMELY* clean looking AE86 Corolla SR5 there, a red coupe, missing the wiper blade on the passenger's side. Looked *really* nice for such an old car in the middle of Ohio.

In the past week, I've run into *2* other AE86es now. One GT-S coupe, and one SR5 coupe, both red. Always nice to see a fellow 86.

Originally posted by Nismo:

Sure wasn't mine if it was very nice..lol Mine's gold all factory with a stage 1 rust reduction.

Wonder who it belonged to, I guess... I couldn't notice any rust at all, which was impressive.

Hatch or coupe? I still wanna go up against your 86 once I get the repairs on mine done. smile.gif

Originally posted by Kuruma:

Wonder who it belonged to, I guess... I couldn't notice any rust at all, which was impressive.

Hatch or coupe? I still wanna go up against your 86 once I get the repairs on mine done. smile.gif

Mines a 84 coupe,,you can beat it anytime you want just let me know. Grandma's walk on me daily in that beast. PM me and I'll give ya my #.

How bad could it really be? Mine idles shitty as hell, especially with the lights on, and the brakes are fucked, it's hard to get it moving in first gear, and shifts a little roughly at lower speeds (smooth as hell from 3rd-5th though), the suspension is bumpy as hell, the gas tank needs replaced, and the steering is mushy feeling. (is this just a normal SR5 thing, or am I just too used to FWD cars?). It's also pretty rusty, so I need a bunch of work done there too. The stereo is also weak too. It makes my stock Neon with it's wal-mart tape deck, and blown speaker in the drivers side front door sound powerful.

Really the trick to fast SR5 driving is to remember this: DO NOT upshift until 4000-4500 RPM. As soon as it starts to drop below 3000 RPM, downshift, or acceleration is going to be slow. The engine doesn't really start making much power for me (and other SR5 owners I asked on club4ag.com) until about 3000RPM. Driving it that way, I'm constantly pushing it to 90MPH on the freeways (even with 3 passengers) and passing normal traffic once it gets up to speed. The only real problem is that when you slow down, getting back up there is slow. Fastest I've gotten my AE86 up to has been 95MPH on 270. At that point I cut it out because I haven't fixed it up enough to want to really push my luck, and the engine badly needs a tune-up. You aren't going to be beating any Mustangs (or even my Neon! :D ) with that driving style, but at least you won't get tailgated by so many grandmas. :D

I AM winning an item for it that's gonna be kickass though. The digital cluster from a Trueno :D (I don't consider that to be ricing the AE86 because it's an authentic Toyota part, and I've always wanted an oldschool 1980s digital cluster in a car) I'm planning to move up to Canada in time anyway (not entirely because of bush, and no I don't care to elaborate on it. It's personal.), so it doesn't matter that the thing displays km/h only smile.gif

Mine is a silver hatch with some rust damage that I need to get dealt with on the quarter panels and hood (extremely minor) and the hatch (need to repace it)

Too bad you sold it. Thanks to Tofu Inflation, if it's stil in good shape and a GT-S you can really get a good amount from Initial D freaks.

The biggest annoyance is getting *BACK* up to speed if you have to suddenly brake, when running the 4A-C. (It's a really shitty engine if it makes my Neon feel speedy) Some douchebag makes you slow down at 90, and have fun slowly accelerating back up as grandmas flip you off for blocking their way tongue.gif Seriously, though, I think instead of the standard GT-S 4A-GE, I'm probably going to go for the 4A-GZE, just because, if I'm going to be pulling the motor, and a 4A-GZE can be had/installed for a similar cost and amount of work... Why not just get it over with and go for the supercharged 4A-GZE, and get more power to start off with? smile.gif

I think I like the interior of the AE86es the best though. Damn things are comfortable to sit in, small, and they have that laid back 80s japanese car feeling. Too bad the stereo sounds like crap though.

Originally posted by Buck531:

I saw a red AE86. Plates even said AE 86 on Stygler Rd (Gahann) tonight around 7ish. Very clean.

That car belongs to my brother. car was just painted about a month ago. im assuming the car you saw was a coupe and not a hatch right?

The local 86 owners need to set up a local AE86 owners club or something. I thought I had one of the few AE86es in town, until recently, as they've been popping up more and more. Could be good for owners to get together and compare what works for them, and what doesn't, as well as help eachother with repairs/upgrades :D

No, that's an AE86. I'm kinda obsessed with the things, even though they aren't the fastest things out there, and I can say for sure, that's an AE86 GT-S Coupe. :D

The bumpers, lights, etc all are correct for a GT-S coupe, and I recognize what can be seen of the seats as AE86 GT-S seats smile.gif

Know anyone that could help drop a 4A-GZE into mine next spring or so? How much would it cost?

On aside note,picked up the new rotors and pads today. Now I need to install them...

[ 09. November 2004, 11:22 PM: Message edited by: Kuruma ]