JET Power Module (side note on Denso Iridium plugs)

zeitgeist57

JET Performance

Last night, at about 2am, I finished installing new Denso Iridium sparkplugs in my Corvette. Truly noticeable change in performance; more from a smooth, hesitation-free delivery of power and excellent throttle response. While doing the plug change, I noticed something that made me very excited: One of the two previous owners had installed a JET Performance Module already!!! It looks exactly like the one in the link.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone here have any ownership experience with an LT1 vehicle that had one of these installed? What sort of gains am I getting? Should I have any concerns from a durability standpoint?

P.s...you may have already heard this from a C4 Vette owner or experienced this yourself, but it bears repeating: This is by far one of the most

difficult vehicles EVAR to change sparkplugs in. It helps to have friends with small hands!

Tonight? KYB SHOCKS! graemlins/grin2.gif

I can change my plugs in my LT1 in about 5 min's... (did it on the side of the freeway on monday) :D

Get LT headers... then it's cake... as far as those power programmers... they are junk.... get some mods done and get a custom tune... it'll run allot stronger that way. I know of one guy who had a JET chip I believe in his mustang and it actually burned up his motor about a week after installing it.. (yes, he had oil and everything else)

Those iridium plugs are great, but make sure you pull them every couple of years just to keep them from freezing to the head. I've seen some aluminum heads where the plugs had to be drilled out after being set for 100k+ miles.

BTW if you want real fun changing plugs, try a 69 Cougar with a 428 motor. You had a choice, cut a hole in the shock tower or pull the motor.

I'd say the smooth running was more because of putting new plugs in than the kind of plug. I personally run NGK TR6's (too cold for your application, TR55's are a good stock-replacement plug).

I'd remove that JET crap. Get a custom tune (and on a near stock car, that's a waste of $$), or leave the PCM stock. I haven't heard of many people running JET stuff on the LT1's, but many have w/ the Hypertech's with lean results (sometimes in the dangerously lean catagory) and same (and in some cases lower) dyno results over stock. I'd venture to guess JET is about the same. There isn't really a whole lot to gain out of tuning mods on a stock LT1; changing the fans settings helps a bit, and you could lean things out slightly and bump up timing slightly while still being safe, but the HP gains are negligable at best.

And get headers. It is a night and day difference doing plugs with my long tubes vs. my manifolds; I've done mulitple plug changes w/ both setups. W/ stock manifolds it isn't that hard once you figure out all of the tricks. With headers, I can do them all from up top without removing anything (though a few are just easier from the bottom).

I pulled the plugs at 60k to be replaced (AC 906 platinum-tipped) and they looked great. A little bit of carbon around the ground electrode but in excellent shape.

I'm surprised to hear all of this about JET. I'm leaving it in, because the car feels very strong (in comparison to my father-in-laws old '93) and it's free.

...unless I can get a few bucks for it on eBay :D