GTO at Trails

90gt

Saw a new GTO run last night at trails for the first time and I wasn't impressed. The pass I ran him I had about 5 car lengths on him in second and probably 15+ in the 1/4. The car ran consistant 15.00's at 94MPH far from the 13.50's @ 104 MT got it to run. I know the driver had alot to do with it but I still think it was far from a 13 sec car.

Originally posted by QWK90GT:

Most the articles I've other magazines besides MT haven't gotten them any faster. I think there overrated.

I've raced a stock 99 Cobra at the strip that ran consistant low 15's in the mid 90's MPH range. They must all run that too.

Originally posted by SamZman:

It's absolutely hilarious you post this after all of your defending of Mach 1's.. You see one GTO so they are all overrated?!.. but how DARE anyone doubt a Mach 1!! :rolleyes:

Saw Mach 1 Run 14.90's

They are turds!!

You'll see stuff like that all the time at the track. New driver+street tires=shitty times and traps. I dropped more than a second and gained 7 mph without touching anything on my car between the first time I drag raced and a few months later at Norwalk.

I haven't seen a Mach 1 get anywhere near the times you claim for yours, but I don't doubt they can just because I haven't seen it done.

Guest Jonnygts
blah blah blah, my car ran 15.088 at MIRC last night at 91 in the traps. I highly doubt that a Mach or GTO are running as slow as that. The driver IS at fault no doubt. My car sucks, 191WHP so mine is the turd.

Guest stevil
Originally posted by GAS,GRASS,OR,ASS:

street tires and the guy wasn't used to rowing a six speed its easy to run real slow.

I bet so. Considering the weight and proven drivetrain, there is no reason for the GTO's to suck that bad at their best. The driver on the other hand...

Driver could not kill that car that badly. I've cut 2.4 60's in my Mach and still have been in the 13's. GTO's are not that fast. Car Craft took one 14.00. I've read other articles where they have gone the same as the one I saw. As for the Mach's being all slow whatever the slowest I've seen out of about 10 now run has been a 13.80@101 and that was an auto. The GTO's are a joke for $33,000.

GTO's are not that fast. Car Craft took one 14.00. I've read other articles where they have gone the same as the one I saw.

While we're mag racing check this out-

http://www.highperformancepontiac.com/features/0407pon_gtotest/

Same day, same track, 3 different drivers in each car including Evan Smith of MM&FF fame.

Anybody can say what they want about boths cars, I haven't seen a GTO run so I can't speak for them. But, the Mach 1 is a fast car, I don't care who is driving. Bad drivers will have worse times obviously but they won't be slow times. There are a couple of them on this board that can prove me right. So anyone who thinks Mach 1 are slow is crazy. The GTO remains a nice car fast or not, but not worth $33k.

Driver could not kill that car that badly.

Then that means 99 Cobras must run low 15's. I raced the guy, and have the time slip stuffed somewhere; that's what he was racing all day, in decent track conditions no less. By your theory, that's how it is. If you argue this, then you are proving you are wrong about the GTO, and we can't have that, now can we???

Regardless, GTO's aren't meant to be drag strip kings anyway; they are a nice GT car, good handling, with power to go along with it. If you think your Moostang is as nice as a GTO, you are dillusional.

Originally posted by O'Rourke:

While we're mag racing check this out-

http://www.highperformancepontiac.com/features/0407pon_gtotest/

Same day, same track, 3 different drivers in each car including Evan Smith of MM&FF fame.

Evan Smith can make anything go fast. That man can drive! By way of comparison he took a stock 03 Cobra to 11.9x. Need to dig up that article. I think he took out the spare, rear seat, front sway bar, and lowered tire pressure to 20psi...

Anyhow - I've seen/read Smith take everything from Z28s to EVOs down the 1/4 and he always gets good times out of whatever car he's in. I wish I could drive like that.

+1 for not stripping a new GTO to get better times. The car is too nice to start ripping up.

This isn't something that I like to admit, but, the second day I had my car (2001 trans am), I took it to trails. Stock tires, stock everything. It was also my second day ever driving a stick, so, have some mercy on me. I was sooooooooo nervous out there. I roasted the tires completly through first and second. missed third and fourth COMPLETLY, and went strait to fifth. Drove the rest of the quarter in 5th, as I was too nervous to think about putting it back into third. smile.gif . I've since improved GREATLY. oh, and I'm not gonna admit my time, but that GTO you ran, would have spanked my ass.

Originally posted by Mowgli:

Originally posted by O'Rourke:

Anyhow - I've seen/read Smith take everything from Z28s to EVOs down the 1/4 and he always gets good times out of whatever car he's in. I wish I could drive like that.

Exactly.. but I don't think anyone w/out disposable income would want to drive there car like Evan Smith.. especially a brand new car.

But really I think it had little to do w/ bad 60's and just plain bad driving. Probably shifting way too early, is my guess..

Originally posted by Mowgli:

Evan Smith can make anything go fast. That man can drive! By way of comparison he took a stock 03 Cobra to 11.9x. Need to dig up that article. I think he took out the spare, rear seat, front sway bar, and lowered tire pressure to 20psi...

+1 for not stripping a new GTO to get better times. The car is too nice to start ripping up.

The 03 cobra that went 11's with Evan Smith driving, had a different pulley, exhaust, and was running on et streets. It was impressive that a few bolt ons and a little trickery and the car went that fast, but it definitely wasn't stock.