turbo diesel jeep???

Adam

just reading the owners manuel on dads 86 jeep commanche and it said that they came with a turbo diesel as an option, just wondering if anyone knew about these trucks and if they can be found cause that would be a fun little truck to have a diesel in and i am having no luck looking one up

if any of the jeep guys have some good sites/forums where i can go to read up on dads truck i would appreciate those too

I saw one on ebay a while ago. Someone can correct me but I think it was a pretty large turbodiesel 4cyl. Definitely seemend like a cool combo.

On a related note, I hear Jeep is bringing a turbodiesel option to the Liberty. (I saw a bunch of Liberty's in Germany last summer, so this decision from DaimlerChrysler seemed like an easy one to counter growing American distaste for high-consumption, high-gas price SUVs). It WILL also be offered in a manual transmission.

Now, if they would just turbodiesel the Wrangler... smile.gif

Jeep will be offering a diesel liberty (KJ) for '05 Its a 2.8L non turbo common rail diesel. Its supposed to have best in class torque and pretty good mileage. Regardless its still ugly.

As far as the MJ goes I don't think the turbo diesel was offered in the US. Maybe Mexico and Europe. I could be wrong but I've never heard of one with that stateside.

The MJ comanche shares a lot with the XJ cherokee, suspension and engine wise anyway.

Some great jeep websites are

Jeeps Unlimited

Rockcrawler.com

Jeepin.com

KJ common rail diesel

Did a quick search and the Australian XJ got a turbo diesel from 97-01 supplied by an italian company. XJ turbo diesel article

MJ was the chassis code for the comanche.

I have no idea about swaps, 84-86 probably had a GM 2.8L V6, so a 4.3L vortec MIGHT be an option, but I'm really just guessing there. The 4.0L I6 would work but you ain't gonna just toss it in there. The good thing is there are plenty of donor vehicles out there.