400+hp on stock KA (240sx original engine)

SHIEF

i wonder what manifold he is using and what turbo. i've been thinking of doing the kat with the sschrome manifold on ebay then getting a t3 or t4 from a junkyard car or equivalent then using my buddies sr sidemount when he goes to fmic. any idea what is involved for fuel management with most kat's? does anyone have a kat in columbus? i know there are enough sr20det's in ohio now, but i think a kat can be built fairly cheaply.

Guest crx34
Just got done helping a friend with a KA-turbo. Changed the fuel rail, upgraded injectors, not sure what size, and the fuel pressure regulator. You also need to get your ecu upgraded. From what I here Jim Wolf Tech. is the only source for reprogrammed ecu's.

ColumbusDrift, do not get one of those manifolds. They are not good. Get one from IAP in Cincy, it's where I got mine and it couldn't be better and Marc is awesome he'll do anything to help you out. They go $550 shipped. www.import-autoperformance.com

I personally won't go with JWT, I'll piggyback it till the end until AEM works their crap out. Hopefully I'll have my KAT out by mid August, I doubt it though.

Originally posted by SHIEF:

ColumbusDrift, do not get one of those manifolds. They are not good. Get one from IAP in Cincy, it's where I got mine and it couldn't be better and Marc is awesome he'll do anything to help you out. They go $550 shipped. www.import-autoperformance.com

I personally won't go with JWT, I'll piggyback it till the end until AEM works their crap out. Hopefully I'll have my KAT out by mid August, I doubt it though.

Installing injectors that are 2 or 3 times larger then stock while only using a stock ecu and piggybacks is a bad idea. The MAF signal is altered so much to lean it out on the bottom end that the timing gets severly advanced. This is a very bad thing, since in the mid range you have a large timing advance, and you haven't reached enough positive manifold pressure to raise the rail pressure yet. This can easily cause detonation when you are least expecting it.

Something like the E-manage has timing corrections, but you need to do a decent amount of work while logging the actual timing values to get things straightened out.

you can get to the 220WHP mark or so with stock injectors and a rising rate regulator. thats a decent start. more than that and you're going to want either the JWT 52lb/hour+cobra maf program, or your favorite flavor of standalone. the JWT KA program is still pretty rich from what i've heard.it's complemented well by dyno time and an afc.

Hmm...I like the idea behind the E-manage, but hate the big-screen crap, and if I'm going to have to use a laptop (if not using the screen) I want a stand-alone. It's like it's close to a stand-alone yet so far away. I see your point Renner, but wouldn't a MSD BTC take care of most of that issue? I could be wrong, but not sure.

The timing changes dynamically across the rev range. Just changing the base timing by a few degrees, or always pulling X degrees above Y rpm is a band-aid but will not solve the problem since it is not a linear relationship.

Short of a standalone where you can do the direct changes to the raw map yourself, having an Eprom reburned with the correct maps for your given injector size is the best way to go as your timing will not be affected by large MAF signal alterations from a piggyback. In the case with an Eprom reburn like JWT, a piggyback is ok to use in addition since you are making only very small fuel corrections off of the already altered base map. It is when you have to run large corrections with the piggyback alone to account for the injector size change that you can run into problems.

There are other things to account for as well, including injector battery offset tables, safety timing maps, and latency timing depending on what type of injector it is, not just the size, etc. These are things that are addressed with the JWT program or a standalone, which a piggyback could never touch. My advice, get the reburned Eprom like JWT for your specific injector size and type, and use a piggyback only for fine tuning adjustents with a wideband.

sorry shief, i wrote that email really quick in the computer lab. but i'm still not certain why the sschrome manifolds suck. are they prone to crack due to no attachment for the turbo flange? also did you buy a new turbo or just use a used one?

also, does anyone know what junkyard turbos are t3 or t4? what i mean is what car could i take just the turbo from and use on my custom turbo manifold. i remember sportcompactcar doing an article about it about a year ago, but i can't seem to find it. i think that the ford thunderbird turbo coupes had t3's and some volvos also? any help would be sweet.

Guest mudbutt
Originally posted by ColumbusDrift:

sorry shief, i wrote that email really quick in the computer lab. but i'm still not certain why the sschrome manifolds suck. are they prone to crack due to no attachment for the turbo flange? also did you buy a new turbo or just use a used one?

SSAC manifolds are pretty poorly constructed. They do not grind any junctions down. They used to be MUCH thinner and prone to cracking. I believe this issue has been resolved. A friend of mine just got one for a ca18det. The construction IS MUCH better than those in the past. The tubes are 2x as thick and the welds look much cleaner. It doesnt look horrible, but it will require hours of grinding internally to make it flow well.

As far as turbo choice. A popular turbo is a t3/t4 stage 3 wheel .63 a/r housing on the hot side and a 50 trim i believe .50 a/r cold side. This should be good to close to 400 hp.

Brett. Is there an available rom editor for the ka, like there is for the rb,sr,ca,and vg motors? I have wrote a few chips for the ca18det that have turned out pretty good, using the rom editor and basic corrections.

Mudd Butt is right on the manifolds. I'm not sure on the new ones, because I haven't seen them. I'll probably go with a T3/T04E w/ 50 trim for my turbo now. I have a T3 now, but it's internal wg, and my manifold is external, so I tried to get a different housing (Garrett GT35R), but it didn't fit so new turbo it is. I'll put the turbo for sale on here.

Guest mudbutt
you can jsut block the external gate port. There really isnt a reason to use on one a turbo that small. Even the largest straight t3(super 60 i believe) will only support about 250 to the wheels.