Winter Snow/Ice Tires?

Prodeje79

I am thinking about getting some snow tires on my extra rims for this winter.

What do you guys use or recommend?

I have a 1997 Nissan Maxima SE with the stock 16s 5stars. The stock all seasons are 215/55-16. I have RE950s on right now, but they have reached their full life.

I have read many reviews on Tire Rack and it sounds like the Dunlop M3s, Blizzak LM-22 or LM-25, and the Continental ContiWinterContact are good choices. I am very open to suggestions.

they are very low tread life tires most any tire rated as a snow tire will blow your mind if you have never driven on one. The blizzaks are great but you can do just as good for less.

Also go as large a sidewall as possible and as narrow a tread surface as possible.

A good cheap snow tire is the wintermarks. There old school, but work great in the hills near Marietta. They are pretty tough, have a narrow width, and are already set up for spikes if necessary. Also about the narrow width. If you find you need more traction you can always lower the air pressure. I wouldn't go lower than 10 or 12 psi though.

Evan

Greg pretty much said it. When I daily drove my Formula years ago, I just tossed on the cheapest set of snow tires I could get on my stock rims. It got around in the snow really well; far better than I would have imagined. No sense in blowing your money on a set of expensive snow tires.

You may want to think about getting just a good set of all season tires for you car. The problem with the Columbus area is that we really do not get enough snow during the winter to justify a full snow tire. Driving them on just pavement will cause a lot of wear.

Just my .02

I work for firestone and can get these new Winterforce fairly cheap, they're directional, s speed rated and fairly good. They we're holding 10-12 psi of boost yesterday before the roads were plowed at 8am. I'm running a 215-60-16 which would probably be the cheapest size for you to get.. they were around 65 a piece. pm me if you're interested in some

Originally posted by vee21:

You may want to think about getting just a good set of all season tires for you car. The problem with the Columbus area is that we really do not get enough snow during the winter to justify a full snow tire. Driving them on just pavement will cause a lot of wear.

Just my .02

Agreed 100%.

I really have been debating this. That is a good point, but I am expecting a pretty bad winter. I guess you never know.

I have always used all seasons, but since I have 3 sets of rims now, I was thinking this would be a good idea. I am used to changing tires for autoX, but it would not be fun to change them often outside of my apartment. So since they would be on for a few months, you are correct that there would be a lot of pavemnet use and wear.

hmmm I just do not know what I will do. PLease continue to debate. :>

I would like to hear from some tire shop people too. 8)

Any thoughts on tire size? I have read that it is a good idea to get a narrower tire for snow tires.

Sorry your first reply was not present when I wrote my response.

That sounds like a great deal!

Should I just get the stock size 215/55-16 ?

Which location are you at? I live near Dublin Sawmill Bethel area.

I got my "lifetime" allignment at Firestone Eastland.

I got my RE950s at Firestone Westland. It was an awesome deal at *** time with buy 3 get one free!

Do you leave your tires on the whole season?

I appreciate everyones help! I am not sure the best time to call, but I will plan for around 11:45am or so.

That is a great deal Derek. I am just not sure if I can make it to the east side before xmas. I get off work at 5pm at tuttle crossing, so I think it would be too hard to get over to the east side.

Is anyone more near the Dublin/UA/Bethel/Henderson/Sawmill Area?

There is a Firestone on Reed Rd. :>

I did a search and I see that a Kevin Gagnon works at a NTB in the Sawmill area. I sent him a PM and an email a couple days ago, anyone know if he still works there? :>

oh ok until 8pm, that works better. :>

I am going to be replacing my rear rotors, calipers, and brake pads tonight after work on the west side. I am pretty sure I wll run out of time unless I just bring over the rims.

If I were to come Wednesday evening after work, would I be able to get it done in time before you close?

I am still kinda on the fence about all seasons vs winter tires. You really feel it is best to go the winter tire route? Most people I have spoken to are advising to just get another set of all seasons.

Either way I plan to put some spring/summer tires on my rx7 rims.

I plan to leave the tires on for the winter season as a whole. Obviously running the snow tires on pavement will eat them up. hmmmmm

One of my co-workers is looking for some tires for her 2000 Isuzu Rodeo , there are 245-70-16 on it now and are the stock ones. Is it OK if I pass your names and numbers on to her?

Originally posted by Neo:

Agreed 100%.

OK just to dig into this a little more.....

I would agree that a winter tire in the warm months would see "extra" wear than an all season.

Doesn't every tire wear more on pavement?

It still seems like a great deal to get a cheap set of snow tires for winter and run my summer tires in the spring summer time frame.

Reviews seem to point that the ContiExtreme all season is a great tire that kinda leans more to the foul weather side of things.

I am not trying to flame or anything, I just want to see some more debate and explanation/ personal experience on this.

Thanks for reading.

OK I got my rear brakes completed, man I did not realize how bald my tires are.

I may take a "personal" day tomorrow and seek out tires.

So it looks like I would need to do All season then if I get them tomorrow?

I have to buy tires tomorrow no matter what. hmmmm unless I park it and take my fiances car to sandusky and then to Chillicothe the next 2 days.

I appreciate everyones help!

Derek really hooked it up. I am going with a Bridgestone Turanza LS-H.

John was very helpful and resourceful. If you need a tire and no one else can find it, he is the man. They are located in Grove City. Right now it is impossible to locate BLizzak LM-22s, but he was able to locate some to use today.

Again I appreciate everyones help! Have a great xmas!

I know that you already got tires, but I just wanted to reiterate that all-season's are worthless. I've become a strong believer that you don't want a compromise tire. A set of steelies with cheap snow tires does wonders in the winter, and agressive tires for summer on nice wheels.

This is the third winter that I've used the same set of snow tires, and they still had great tread life on them when I mounted them on the truck last week. I think last winter I ran them until about April, just to be sure there would be no more snow.

I'm going to throw a couple of other wheels into the bed of my truck for weight, I've already had some trouble on ice this week, but I was always able to move at least enough to get out of the situation.

Oh, and my snow tires were $50 a piece.