fuel filler cap question.

Guest visualpoet

He's right on part of it.. THe reason for the tank to NOT be vented is emisions related, but unless you are sucking assloads of fuel from the tank, and you are not getting enough flow, then venting your tank would help. But only then.

Guest powers

question, the guy made the comment that a vacuum is created by the pump. I was thinking about this and it seemed to me that the only way gas could shoot out is if the contents are under pressure from changes in temp.

So question my qustion is, are the contents under pressure or a vaccum? If they were under pressure wouldn't that help the pump?

yes, you are right. When I said that it would help, that would only be effective if you were sucking it down at a gallon a minute, run of the mill talks are under pressure, mostly because gas, does have a low point of vaporazation, sort of like boiling point. And it is also sort of like pop, shake it and it will give off gases. But the system is presureized to stop emmisions, and to a small degree to keep the aromatic solvents (read Octane) in the fuel, which is the first thing to boil off.

Guest visualpoet
It's funny that he could be accurate on a few things and so far off on the rest of it. Just goes to show you can't always trust someone because they sound like they know their shit.