Turbo Diesel Trucks

04r1

I've driven newer diesel's from all the manufacturers at work. I like the power of all of them and I'm a fan of the Chevy interior over the Ram's I've been in. The newer Ford 6.0L's have good power, but I've heard of a lot of ECU/electrical problems with them. Not sure how new of a truck you're looking for but that's one thing to think about.

Originally posted by GSRchick714:

I just don't understand why people would want diesel...it smells and they're loud :confused:

Loud is subjective, some people (like myself) enjoy the way they sound.

The smell has to do with some of the things in the diesel fuel itself. In the next few years, diesel fuel is going to be changed to be far cleaner burning, so that smell will go away.

Reasons to own a diesel:

Far more reliable than any gas motor.

Far less fuel consumption than a comparitively sized gas motor.

Insane amounts of torque.

Turbo

And it's difficult to screw up the tuning. Basicly, a diesel can't run rich or lean. The motor just doesn't care. It's nothing to throw 75 lbs of boost at a diesel with upgraded turbos.

Go test drive a TDI VW Jetta sometime. 50 miles per gallon, and I bet you won't even be able to tell the motor burns something other than gas.

Guest GSRchick714

Ok thats fine but I'll never sit in a TDI because they are sloooooooooooooooow. Anyways, I guess some people might want a diesel for certain reasons but to me they just not my style I guess... :confused:

(...can't really find a "cute" car for a girl thats diesel)

I'm a chevy boy at heart by far but when it comes to trucks. A buddy of mine has a I think it's 03 F-250 Diesel Lariat edition, and I absolutely love that truck, he came and pulled us out of a ditch once we got the 4x4 ranger stuck up the the windshield in a mud pit (sinkhole?) and it didn't really strain much once he was able to catch traction in the bad weather. Pulled it out where a cummins couldn't. So take that for what it's worth, and hell the thing has more luxury options than anything else I've ever seen short of his 88 Lincoln Mark VII.

He bought the truck because he wanted a truck but refused to give up all his luxury options. REALLY nice truck. And he drives it back and fourth to work everyday which is about 9 miles for him.

However, right now I go to WyoTech and the Powerstrokes we see have been cleverly re-named Power-jokes, there front suspensions is about as reliable as a drag car in a snow storm.

but again, my buddy, has never had problems with his. preventative maintence is your friend :cool:

True as far as I know the jetta is the only TDI car you can still get here, and they are pretty slow, but there are some new diesels coming from some european companies that are more advanced IE the E320 CDI 201 hp 369 lb ft of torque at 1800 rpm, and it runs low 15's, not bad for a 4000lb car with only 200 hp. I still don't think I would really want a diesel though...

Originally posted by GSRchick714:

I just don't understand why people would want diesel...it smells and they're loud :confused:

Jeep is coming out with a Diesel Liberty, there's no way you'll be able to tell it's a diesel without looking under the hood. diesel's have come a long way and the perception that their dirty, loud, and obnoxious just doesn't fit anymore.

copperhead's right, test drive the TDI jetta and you'll never tell the difference other than it's slow.

Hmm, whatever you get, when you stary modding it pay close attention to the mods. There are several kits out there that will show big numbers, but ruin the trucka ability to be used as a truck. The one that comes to mind right now is the twin turbo kit for the older duramax motors. It gets you into some silly HP rating like 650 or 700 but it says that you CAN NOT tow with the vehicle once it's installed.

As far as which to buy, I know several people that went into the Ford dealership pissed after being sold F-350's wiht the diesel and being told it was WAY more power than anything else. Then getting passed with nothing in the back pulling a hill by the new Dodge when they first got the Cummins turbo motors. Which wouldn't be a big deal except for the fact the one guy that passed Eddie's F-350 was pulling a big trailer with a car on in. That was 8 yrs ago though. I haven't paid muchattention to it since.