it lives and it dies

Dave1647545494

just as I get my shadow all togehter including making the AC work assembling the interior and finishing off the tranny swap the stupid transmisson in my dakota decides it no longer wants to go in reverse. I already put a stick in the shadow becuase the automatic died has anyone else on here with a chrysler product had automatic tranny problems or is mine just fucked from getting sprayed too many times? also if anyone sees a 98-04 dakota in the junkyard with a good transmisson in it let me know

thanks

Originally posted by copperhead:

chrysler trannies like to die, from what i've heard. My dad's Ram hasn't seemed to have any trouble, that I know of at least.

Did you ever figure out if it was a clogged valve body?

rebuil the valve body with transgo parts I got one more thing to check and then I'm pullin that piece of shit out and rebuild it

That sucks, Dave.

Don't worry about my carb for a few days. (not that you would be worrying about it anyways smile.gif ) I have replaced the ignition switch on top of the steering column to try to make sure power is getting from the battery to the distributor and the engine STILL won't start. It will turn over and over, but I don't think there is any spark happening still.

I need to get that resolved before the carb needs adjusting smile.gif

That sucks, man. From what I've gathered, Chrysler products have gained a reputation for having automatic trannies go out anywhere from 60-90k miles. I worked at a Jeep dealership in VA a few years ago, and about once a month we had an automatic Wrangler or Cherokee come back in need of tranny work within a few months of new purchase. That's not to say that all Chrysler transmissions go bad that soon, it just seems that the transmission has been the weakest link in many of their cars for some time.

the V-6 tranny is weak. plus the fact you spraying it didn't help much either. from what i have read on dakota form tranny coolers are life savers for our tranny also if you are going to rebuild replace the torque converter.

What transmission fluid are you using? Adding the stuff you get from the local auto parts store is not good. Chrysler's transmissions only run good on there ATF 3+ that you can only get at the dealerships. Adding the general stuff from a parts store is well known to greatly reduce the life of the transmission. Always us the Mopar brand transmission fluid in any Chrysler car. Also, a tranny cooler will greatly increase the life of your auto tranny.

Originally posted by punkrocker3_00:

What transmission fluid are you using? Adding the stuff you get from the local auto parts store is not good. Chrysler's transmissions only run good on there ATF 3+ that you can only get at the dealerships. Adding the general stuff from a parts store is well known to greatly reduce the life of the transmission. Always us the Mopar brand transmission fluid in any Chrysler car. Also, a tranny cooler will greatly increase the life of your auto tranny.

I only use chrysler ATF 4 17 bucks a gallon at the dealer. I found a website with some common problems it may not be toast becuase only reverse is out it will still go into all 4 forward gears

Have fun pulling that tranny...my brothers 5 speed tranny went out in his 01 dakota after he tried doing something stupid. He was just going to pay to have the work done but i told him to let me do it and give me the money. It took close to 2 hours before i realized I was retarded for saying that. Also chrsyler trannies are for driving not for racing. Half of the trannies in turbo dodges like I had in my 88 daytona turbo 2(converted) went out around 30k after upgrades. That is why when they made the Shelby series they made new trannies for all. What type of tranny did u get. 525, 555, 568.....Good luck again man.

my shadow has the good new process 5 speed with an LSD in it. I could care less if it breaks the clutch has a lifetime warranty and I can buy trannies for 50 bucks all day.

beleive me when I get done with the 42re in my truck it will never break again all new raybestos clutches and steels kevlar bands and mopar performance servos with a transgo shift kit

I'm lucky enough to a know a guy with access to all the special tools it takes to take the tranny apart.

FYI if your hopping up a chrysler of anykind build up the transmision first or it will eat itself