1G RX7: Reliable daily driver?

Guest jpurdy2003

i wouldn't drive ANY RX-7 as a daily driver.

first gens and non turbo 2nd gens are very reliable but i still wouldn't trust my job on it

why not drive one of the other 5231 cars you have?

Guest nevarmore
Originally posted by Golden Brown Jack Trump:

Would a 1979-1985 RX7 be a reliable and economical daily driver? Why or why not?

Been using my 1985 GS as a daily for 5 months. I got it in Februrary when there was still ice on the parking lot at my apartment and we got occasional rains and I have been running it in the recent heat with no major issues.

- 20mpg, I don't see the problem but people flinch when I tell them

- You can't haul anything

- You can only have one passenger

- If anything breaks, parts aren't always @ AutoZone

- If you don't check and top up the oil you will fuck your car up. Its not hard, but some people just can't do it.

- You will have to take some time learning how to drive a light RWD in low traction. It takes a different touch.

+ RWD

+ Nothing sounds sweeter than a redlining rotary

+ Good manual transmissons

+ You can't haul anything

+ You can only have one passenger

+ Gobs of chassis and engine upgrades

+ Its fun on the track in stock trim

+ Lightweight

+ Small, you can park in compact car spaces

+ People think first gens are somehow exotic

+ Turning kinda fast is a lot more fun than going really fast in a straight line

+ Good support, www.rx7club.com is good once you learn how to ignore the retarded kids

+ Oil changes are a snap, the filter is on top.

The important thing is to get a good car to start with. No rust, no engine problems, no transmission problems. For a daily driver I would reccomend a later car, 84 or 85. They have all the bugs worked out. If you don't want to worry about emissions get a 79 or 80, but you will have to deal with other issues. I have found the 12a engine a pleasure to work in and around, the only two things I never want to fix are the emissions crap or the rather complicated Nikki carburetor. The 1984-85 GSL-SEs came with the 13b like the second gens, an NA FB will pull harder and go faster than an NA FC because of the weight difference.

Check out the First Gen FAQ + Links at: http://www.rx7club.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=237777

In short, an FB is as good of a daily driver as any other late 70's or early 80's car. It is no more or no less reliable. It has to deal with similar issues with rust and aging parts. The rotary engine is no better or worse than a piston engine for reliability; It requires DIFFERENT maintenance not MORE maintenance than a piston engine.

Originally posted by RX7dood:

i wouldn't drive ANY RX-7 as a daily driver.

first gens and non turbo 2nd gens are very reliable but i still wouldn't trust my job on it

why not drive one of the other 5231 cars you have?

I disagree with Berto's assesment of the FB's reliability, but he makes a good point about having too many projects. You can only drive one car at a time. I would hate to see an FB die so that a DSM or SE-R may live.

well said! I would love to drive an NA Rex for a daily, only real downfall is the somewhat less fuel economy (a trait of the less efficient combustion) but then again, my daily is about 23mpg. I love working on the rotary engine, its just downright simple once all of the un-necessary crap is removed. Emissions, pssh, who needs em ;)

Guest trs2126
Had a 1983 GSL for 3-4 years as a daily driver. Great car during mild weather but was horrible when it was cold. I can't imagine ever having a carbuerated car (with a manual choke mind you) during the winter again. Otherwise it was a blast to drive and never gave me any trouble over roughly 50,000 miles. Actually handled better in the snow than my current car. GSL-SE's are fuel injected but hard to find. Good luck.

I have been driving my $200 86gxl beater daily for 11,000 miles now, it has never left me stranded. The only problem that made me late for work was a bad alternator, that can and will happen on any car with over 100k on the clock.

They make great daily drivers, I do take comfort in having another car just in case however.

Guest Tony_K

Jack - sell all of your pieces of shit and get one good car and focus on taking care of it. tongue.gif

Buy the best condition car you can afford...

Guest jpurdy2003
Originally posted by Tony K:

Jack - sell all of your pieces of shit and get one good car and focus on taking care of it. tongue.gif

Buy the best condition car you can afford...

POSs? They all run fine?

P.S. The SE-R is running, driving, and almost ready for the first stage of N2O therapy.