exhaust?

smokin5s

Ok, first off, this is not a ricer flaming thread so lets try to keep it away from that.

Tonight, a few friends and I were talking and we can't figure this out.... How do people think that mellon throwing mufflers sound good? I mean, when people sing like shit, we don't give them a microphone tongue.gif . I understand how v-8's with loud exhast sounds good, but that high pitched buzzing sound just sounds stupid to me. Especially Tercel's that think they are race cars (you know who you are) Can someone shed some insight on why in the world someone would put that on their car? I know for HP, but it will only give you MAX 5 hp which isn't noticable enough to really concern yourself with. It is posible to make mufflers that don't sound like that that can perform just as well anyways, so why make them sound like that? People that have them, do you like the way your car sounds? Why?

Guest Tony_K

I don't know why anyone wants to make their car louder. If the same flow characteristics can be had on a quieter system, I will always opt for the quieter one.

On early Lotus Esprits, people shell out all kinds of money for custom exhausts with magnaflow mufflers, etc., thinking they will free up a few more ponies. What they get is an obnoxiously loud car that isn't any faster than before, that leaves your brain swollen after about a half an hour of driving. They don't realize that for Lotus to eek 160hp out of a 2-liter in the early seventies, they had to have a pretty efficient exhaust design from the start. There isn't a heck of a lot you can do to improve it and still be marginally legal.

Porsche 944s, too, have an excellent factory exhaust system - there are a ton of LOUD aftermarket systems available, but none offer any measurable hp gain except for a few that cost a few thousand dollars from header to tailpipe, and those are pretty much just used by racers. To add to it, the aftermarket systems are made of cheap steel, unlike the originals, of which extremely few have rusted.

greddy makes systems that have the "fart can" look but are just as quite or quieter than your stock system my friend has one and you cant hear the exhaust until he totally gets into it and get to vtec.

about why i have no idea i have one and i cant even answer you question. i have heard good sounding fart cans but they are few and very far between. it could be the whole look at me think or something like that mabey.

Guest Tony_K
Originally posted by Car Enthusiast:

i never understood, why a car with twice the displacement, has half the size pipe size out the back of a car

Do you mean that Camaros and Mustangs should have 10"-12" diameter fart cannons, since civics have 5-6" ones? tongue.gif I'd love to see a Camaro with dual monster fart cannons! :D

Originally posted by BLACK ITR GUY:

greddy makes systems that have the "fart can" look

And why would anyone want the fart can look?? It looks hideous; like some monster piece of metal just slapped onto the back of a car.

Then you have the sideways melon launcher; a monster piece of metal that looks like someone can't even put it on straight.

Or the rain-catcher fart can, with tips that invite rain to just pour into them, for that burbly rain-ingested sound.

there are some that look ok. im not going to argure with you there are some that look rediculous, thats why mine is a carbon fiber can i dont like the trash can look plus its different.

its just some peoples cup of tea is different than others

Originally posted by Stallion Motorsports:

Since we are on the exhaust issue, has anyone seen the Camaro with pipes that are a good 8-10 inches past the bumper? Any reason for that? The idea is taking off, I have seen a couple folks have it in the past week.

Tom

keep black carbon off the bumper?

Originally posted by V6 Power:

How do people think that mellon throwing mufflers sound good? I mean, when people sing like shit, we don't give them a microphone tongue.gif

Best.Quote.Evar :D

I think the quality of the exhaust system has MORE to do with the sound of the exhaust note than just clamping on a huge muffler out of the rear. It's all for looks...and it ain't looking all that great. graemlins/thumbsdown.gif

Originally posted by Stallion Motorsports:

Since we are on the exhaust issue, has anyone seen the Camaro with pipes that are a good 8-10 inches past the bumper? Any reason for that? The idea is taking off, I have seen a couple folks have it in the past week.

Tom

it used to be the cool thing on the 40-50's customs that had flamethrowers on them its mostly to keep from hurting the finish and showed off the fact that the car had duals

Man, this thread is an easy answer..

First of all, think of it from their point of view..The "ricer" is just now getting into cars and doesn't know an valve cover from an oil cap. Second of all, their knowledge isn't based from an car guy, a shop, or even a book. Most of it is comming from the movies that they see at the Theater or their "friends" ideas who prob don't know any better. They think that since they saw it in the F&F that it has to work. Also, getting an exhaust done is very cheap compared to anything, and those freaking fart pipes are usually cheaper than anything. When I bought my cavy, I had to much peer presure to get an "fart cannon" from all of those little punks that have them because they say they are great and really do free up so many horses..Screw that..I wont have an fart pipe on my baby. I now have an Magnaflow that is deep and low toned..Not ricy..These kids just need to shop around and spend some time on the computer researching.

Just my 2 cents..lol I could be wrong though.

no right or wrong its your opinion

and i agree with you they see it in a mag or on the movie screen so it must be the coolest and best thing to do.

but like i said before i think some look good, i dont think any thing would look better on my ar than my carbon fiber muffler i love it.

I think there is just a fine line between domestic taste and import taste. I don't side with either but it seems that domestics have figured out after a 3 inch diam your wasting steel, and most (but not all) importers have just figured that a engine with a 1/4 th of the output needs a 6 inch diameter can. Thing is most imports these days are retarded kids thinking that the louder the faster... so throwing them all in one group would be unfair to good guys such as itr. http://www.ezarchive.com/ezarchive/AssetFile.aspx?id=40196&time=632254125328125000http://www.ezarchive.com/ezarchive/AssetFile.aspx?id=40199&time=632254127218906250

Guest stevil

They are so pissed off because their car is slow, they decide to retaliate and piss off the world with an annoying fart muffler. :D

"I'll show those big bad V8 guys, argh! 6" muffler tip, bigger than theirs, should be perfect! bzzum splt burb plurp bzzz bum bu plurp burb ba ba ba bzzz"

My friend had a gsr with the evo exhaust, cold air, headers, new 2.5 piping all round, and no cat and to be honest it was actually a good sounding can, but it was a bit much when it v-tec'd. Even all the old people could hear it over the price is right.