Choises on first mod

Crash1647545504

now that everything in my car runs.....

get intercooler piping and a small mildly damages front mount installed?

or new springs, struts and sway bars front and rear 2.25 drop in the front 2.0 drop in the rear and great quality struts (will cost less that 200)

keeping in mind my springs now are rusting and i have 1 blown strut

Guest infamous me 235
Originally posted by Theoretic:

new springs, struts and sway bars front and rear 2.25 drop in the front 2.0 drop in the rear and great quality struts (will cost less that 200)

keeping in mind my springs now are rusting and i have 1 blown strut

That's what i'd do especially if one's already busted.

New springs/struts. You'll chew up tires before you'll be able to realize any benefit from the new piping and IC.

It's like saying "Should I supercharge, or get a front end alignment?" Do the necessary maintenance first before you do anymore BPUs.

If you’re going to do the suspension do it right and get a poly. bushings kit, from talking to others and people at Road Race Engineering (RRE) these can do just as much to make these cars handle better as a spring/strut upgrade.

IIRC the lower sway bar in the front is fine (1G AWD), just buy the rear. If you think you can do the suspension 'right' with the same amount of money you were going to spend on a used/slightly damaged front mount w/hard pipes you need to do some more research.

According to RRE's prices:

KYB AGX struts=$475

Springs~$200 (didn't see any 1G spring kit on RRE's website)

Suspension Techniques Rear Sway Bar=$130

Energy Suspension Bushing Kits=$130

475+200+130+130=$935

Plus whatever for a full alignment.

We'll round off to a $1k to do it 'right'.

This is basically what one of their gurus suggested to me when I called them.

Throw in strut tower bars to go 'all out' and that’s another ~$200 (I really don't know if both, if any are generally suggested).

I would highly suggest doing suspension if you are happy with the speed right now from your 14B and have done all maintenance. Just my general feeling and opinion, but the straight line speed you would get from that money won't make your car nearly as much more 'fun' as the suspension. Especially if your suspension is shot right now. Also keep in mind tires make all the difference in the world.

Please don’t take offense to this. I think you need to start reading ALOT about these cars if you are going to take full advantage of it, I know you are new to them and are trying, that’s why you posted this. There is a TON of information out there about these cars already, take advantage of that.

I'm also not a huge fan of front mounts on these cars becuase of how hot they run and I'm more of a road race oriented person, but I think I'm in the minority on this one...

Originally posted by iwishiwascool:

are you AWD?

I assumed and am pretty sure he is. Although the only thing I think that would change about my post (if he is FWD) is that he could use a front lower sway bar ($109) and the bushing kit is $10 cheaper.

well if i do the suspention its not gonna cost me a whole lot because im getting free monro struts (same type we used on the Comaro before we went to coilovers) and a discount on springs and i do all the instalation myself. and i actualy already have a bushing kit sitting around someplace

yep im AWD, the front mount that i have just has minor damage its not visible and i tested it for any leaks. but i was unsure of the gains i would get from IC piping an a front mount

well if i do the suspention its not gonna cost me a whole lot because im getting free monro struts (same type we used on the Comaro before we went to coilovers) and a discount on springs and i do all the instalation myself. and i actualy already have a bushing kit sitting around someplace

yep im AWD, the front mount that i have just has minor damage its not visible and i tested it for any leaks. but i was unsure of the gains i would get from IC piping an a front mount

Sounds like you can do the suspension 'right' for not that much money, this one's a no-brainer if you ask me. You might see some gains from a front mount and piping, but nothing like you'd see going from a bad suspension to a good aftermarket one. Are the struts your going to get basically OEM replacements? Just wondering, the whole blowing them out because of spring rate issue ya know, I guess if that happens after six months your not out anything but will need to buy new, better (read KYB AGX) struts.

People over on CbusDSM might be able to more realistically tell you the gains of that front mount and piping better than I, but if your piping and IC isn't leaking now I don't think you'd see that much from it.

Have you done the timing belt (and associated bits)?

Yea Pretty much OEM replacements but they are very good quality struts. right now it has intrax springs and KYB struts and those are what is blown right now.

timing belt wa one of the first things i fixed

[ 15. July 2004, 09:48 PM: Message edited by: Theoretic ]

Yea Pretty much OEM replacements but they are very good quality struts. right now it has intrax springs and KYB AGX struts and those are what is blown right now.

That's odd maybe intrax springs are crap or thoes struts are really old, I've heard nothing but good things about thoes struts?

timing belt wa one of the first things i fixed

graemlins/thumb.gif

What all do you have done performance wise right now?

Guest h23it
Personally, I have more fun dropping into a corner at triple digits than going 0-60, so I would go with suspension. The change you will see going from stock busted suspension to good aftermarket suspension will be huge. But it all really depends on what you like.