anybody on here drive a 3800 powered f-body?

Dave1647545494

Originally posted by Tinman:

I don't know if it helps you out or not, but I'm installing a 3800/T5 from a 98 camaro in one of my rx7s. Your welcome to come and check it out.

instead of using a 3800 series II from a late model camaro you should use a 3.8 from a grand national. alot of guys do this and that would be alot faster than a camaro motor. just an idea

Originally posted by gergwheel:

instead of using a 3800 series II from a late model camaro you should use a 3.8 from a grand national. alot of guys do this and that would be alot faster than a camaro motor. just an idea

hes has got another rx7 thats piston powered, and packs a little more punch then a buick ;)

well see the problem is is that I have a buick motor now well like 4 of them 455's and 430's and the buick 3.8T is based directly off of the bigblock. the stock oiling systems are weak. So I'm going to give a 3800 L67 a whirl and see how fast the blower motor can go in a car with the drive wheels in the right place. I'm not knocking the grand national motor, but it stopped production in 89 and I can still buy fresh low mile 3800's all day for cheap.

I was considering this as a project just last week, and there are a few changes you'll have to make to the L67 to get it to fit.

1) The M90 blower on the L67 won't fit, the TB goes towards the trans and there's not enough clearance to the fire wall for the intake, so you'll have to use the L67 long-block, the regular 3800 upper and lower intake manifold, and a centrifugal blower.

2) Not sure whether the exhaust manifold from the NA motor flows enough for the L67, and I know the manifold from the W-body won't fit the F-body, so headers are mandatory.

3) You'll have to find a way to fit the boost controller on the intake.

4)Engine mounts are a straight swap, but you'll have to get heavier mount bushings to take the torque of the L67.

5)You'll probably want to switch you rear end out as well, for gearing as well as the rear disc-brake setup.

If you have the stick, keep it. If you have the auto and can get your hands on a 6spd, grab it.

I personally think it unfair that these cars never got the L67. It would have tave taken it from an under-powered grocery-getter to a real sports car.

As for the GN 3.8, yeah they're stronger, but if we ever get E-check in Central Ohio, he'd be screwed. But if you want an F-body with the early 80s 3.8 they offer them for awhile. Good luck finding one though.

I'm putting this motor in a 1971 a-body it'll fit the way it is. the bellhousing is specific to the 3800 I spent about 6 hours today at the salvage yard with a hollander book and a tape measure. I need a t-5 or a 4l60e from a 3.4 or 3.8 powered f-body. it'll be fun to try and if it doesn't work out I can always stuff another big block in it. smile.gif

dave why dont you find the 3.4/3.8 and bolt it to a northstar. pattern is nearly exact. ive looked at this swap. light weight and 300 ponys with a very restrictave exaust. and as far as head gaskets i can do the threadserts (gm's name for a helicoil)for near cost. ask tinman how close the bolt pattern is i showed it to him the last time he was at my shop. just an idea