Who knows vovlos? Audi's?

Science Abuse

My name is Joshua Miller, Internet Manager for Byers Volvo.

Any AWD Volvo has a turbo.

A Volvo life expectantly is 18.6 years.

Volvo is a reliable car.

Volvo is a durable car.

I have put over 200,000 miles on a Volvo.

I have owned Volvos for 12 years.

In the years your looking for:

Volvo offered AWD in both a sedan (S70 1998-2000), a wagon (V70 1998-2000), a offroad style wagon (XC70 1998-2000), and a wagon (V70R 1998-2000).

Here is some info on all of them but the V70R:

All of them will be automatics.

2.4L DOHC inline 5 190hp@5100rpm 199ft-lbs@1800rpm.

Curb weight 3148lbs.

20 city 28 highway.

V70R:

AWD with automatic

2.3L DOHC inline 5 236hp@5100rpm 228ft-lbs@2600rpm.

Curb weight 3371lbs.

19 city 26 highway.

Volvos are known for more then just safety!

I'll stop before I start writing a novel!

Anything else I can answer let me know.

For Audi's you'll have some reliability issues no matter what year you get, best to get one with lower mileage. One thing to make sure is that the timing belt is changed ASAP if the car has over 50k on it (assuming you're looking at 1.8t's). If you do you own repairs (which i'm sure you will) they aren't too expensive to maintain. Just have to accept the fact that parts will cost a bit more and you need to stay ontop of maintenance. Search around on www.audiworld.com for some more information, definitely fun cars.

A4s are starting to get a bad reputation because the price has come down quite a bit on earlier models ($6-7k isn't uncommon). People buy the cars cheap and get upset when they find the repair costs of a $30k german car.

I own a 97 Volvo 850. We bought it new in 97 at Byers. We have enjoyed the car a lot and it is still my wife's daily driver. We have 85,000 miles on it presently. I read the reviews about Volvo's lasting for a million miles and that is one of the reasons we bought and the fact that it is designed with safety first in mind.

Overall, we are happy with it but some things are expensive. I usually do all of my maintenance on my vehicles, but for the first 5 years I took the 850 into Byers Volvo. I didnt want to void any warranty, so they did everything from oil changes to the timing belt at 80k. It wasn’t too expensive. The only thing that was expensive and I have not had repaired or fix, is the driver's side heated seat. It just broke this year and I was charged $100 at Byers to tell me that the heating element needs repaired and it will be another $350 to fix. I thought this would be the problem, but I wasn’t expecting $100 to tell me that and another $350 to fix. I was expecting ~$250 for the whole job. I was kinda upset about that, the heating element is a $60 part. I have not torn down a seat before, but am thinking about it, unless someone can do it much cheaper. Another note, that today’s Volvo’s are a product of Ford. I think Ford bought Volvo 98, so we have one of last ‘rest’ Volvos unless you are talking about Volvo trucks. Volvo still owns the truck part. Overall we are happy with the 850.

Originally posted by Morgan:

For Audi's you'll have some reliability issues no matter what year you get, best to get one with lower mileage. One thing to make sure is that the timing belt is changed ASAP if the car has over 50k on it (assuming you're looking at 1.8t's). If you do you own repairs (which i'm sure you will) they aren't too expensive to maintain. Just have to accept the fact that parts will cost a bit more and you need to stay ontop of maintenance. Search around on www.audiworld.com for some more information, definitely fun cars.

A4s are starting to get a bad reputation because the price has come down quite a bit on earlier models ($6-7k isn't uncommon). People buy the cars cheap and get upset when they find the repair costs of a $30k german car.

I thought you had a Jetta? tongue.gif

-Marc

Originally posted by pbsracerx:

My name is Joshua Miller, Internet Manager for Byers Volvo.

Any AWD Volvo has a turbo.

A Volvo life expectantly is 18.6 years.

Volvo is a reliable car.

Volvo is a durable car.

I have put over 200,000 miles on a Volvo.

I have owned Volvos for 12 years.

In the years your looking for:

Volvo offered AWD in both a sedan (S70 1998-2000), a wagon (V70 1998-2000), a offroad style wagon (XC70 1998-2000), and a wagon (V70R 1998-2000).

Here is some info on all of them but the V70R:

All of them will be automatics.

2.4L DOHC inline 5 190hp@5100rpm 199ft-lbs@1800rpm.

Curb weight 3148lbs.

20 city 28 highway.

V70R:

AWD with automatic

2.3L DOHC inline 5 236hp@5100rpm 228ft-lbs@2600rpm.

Curb weight 3371lbs.

19 city 26 highway.

Volvos are known for more then just safety!

I'll stop before I start writing a novel!

If you are into Volvo's and can hook me up with someone that can replace my driver's side heating element cheaper than $350, let me know. I can take the seat out, I just need some help removing the seat covers and re-installing.

Originally posted by Just a Cruiser:

I own a 97 Volvo 850. We bought it new in 97 at Byers. We have enjoyed the car a lot and it is still my wife's daily driver. We have 85,000 miles on it presently. I read the reviews about Volvo's lasting for a million miles and that is one of the reasons we bought and the fact that it is designed with safety first in mind.

Overall, we are happy with it but some things are expensive. I usually do all of my maintenance on my vehicles, but for the first 5 years I took the 850 into Byers Volvo. I didnt want to void any warranty, so they did everything from oil changes to the timing belt at 80k. It wasn’t too expensive. The only thing that was expensive and I have not had repaired or fix, is the driver's side heated seat. It just broke this year and I was charged $100 at Byers to tell me that the heating element needs repaired and it will be another $350 to fix. I thought this would be the problem, but I wasn’t expecting $100 to tell me that and another $350 to fix. I was expecting ~$250 for the whole job. I was kinda upset about that, the heating element is a $60 part. I have not torn down a seat before, but am thinking about it, unless someone can do it much cheaper. Another note, that today’s Volvo’s are a product of Ford. I think Ford bought Volvo 98, so we have one of last ‘rest’ Volvos unless you are talking about Volvo trucks. Volvo still owns the truck part. Overall we are happy with the 850.

I'm glad you like your 850.

Most dealerships or service garages charge to diagnosis any issue with a car brought in.

As far as the Ford

Ford bought out Volvo so Ford could take advantage of their safety and reliability record. Ford was hoping it would elevate them. Ford has NOT built any parts for any current Volvo.

The closest would be:

1.) Any safety innovation Ford and Volvo developed together goes straight to Volvo for a couple years and then to Ford and the rest of the family.

2.) the new 2005 S40 base platform is also given to Mazda for the new 3 and the European focus. However the front and rear sections as well as the roof structure are patented by Volvo for exclusive use.

3.) The addition of sirrus satellite radio in a Volvo

Now Ford is using Volvo technology for it's new cars. IE Ford 500, AWD system, airbags, side impact protection systems, suspension designs, etc

Originally posted by B:

what about the other sweedish manufactor eric;)

I cant afford a Griffin. ;)

Originally posted by pbsracerx:

Got any V70Rs? It sounds pretty attractive, I'd like to take one for a spin. Take a Tbird on trade in? :D

Originally posted by Mowgli:

Volvo's 1970s marketing OWNAGE

Check out the super manly Volvo logo bottom left.

Uhh, the other left?

Eric, I have driven the S40, S60, AND S80 all in the last 6 months, and all I can say is WOW, I have been impressed with all three. The 40 felt similar to a WRX, the 60 more like a nicer full size European car, and the 80 was just amazingly well built. Mercedes quality. Also, the cars handle out of this world. The turning radius is the biggest complaint from end users, but the handling would even impress you. You can rent any of these from Hertz at the airport. I highly recommend them.

Originally posted by Just a Cruiser:

If you are into Volvo's and can hook me up with someone that can replace my driver's side heating element cheaper than $350, let me know. I can take the seat out, I just need some help removing the seat covers and re-installing.

I spoke with Tom Beard He is our Service Manager. He requested that you please contact him. He said he will try to help you out.

tbeard@byersvolvo.com or 614.864.0780