temps?

grease monkey

well, i finally got my piece of shit to start and run fairly relibly, with out leaking gas all fucking over the place, so i guess now it's time to get some temps so I can ride the damn thing, does anyone know what the process of doing that entails, also i'm gonna need to know some things about insurance and getting plates for it. thanks!!

Rick,

You will have to go to one of three locations in Columbus to get it all done in one trip. Hilliard (on Cemetery Road), West Broad (in the dept. of public safety complex), or Alum Creek (almost across the street from DeVry).

Step one: Go to registrar side and ask for motorcycle temp packet, it's about $20.

Step two: Go to the exam portion of the building and take the motorcycle written exam. It is a 50 question multiple-choice test. You may only miss 12 questions. Read through the motorcycle book for a half-hour or so before you take the test; there WILL be some questions you miss if you don't read it. If in doubt, use the "skip question" button because more often than not the replacement question will be something easier. It pulls the questions randomly from a database of, I would guess, about 200 questions. About 75 of these are directly motorcycle related - the rest are general road knowledge.

Step three: They validate your temp packet if you pass the test. This gives you a year of restricted (no freeway, no night, no passenger, helmet required) riding. You may now also register and plate your bike. Go back to the registrar side with your title, and purchase your registration and plates.

Step four: Call your insurance company and ask about motorcycle insurance. If they can't do it, they can probably recommend an insurer for you.

Step five: Get on this website ( http://www.motorcycle.ohio.gov/ ) and look up the basic rider course. Call whichever one you like and get registered NOW with the understanding that it will be fall before you can probably get in. If you wait too long, you will have to wait until next year to do it. This will accomplish two goals: 1) They will teach you tons of motorcycle operating techniques, on their bikes. 2) Once passed, you can get your motorcycle endorsement completely free and don't have to take any stupid tests. Just walk into the registrar, show them the card, and have your license reprinted.

Does that about cover it all?

Originally posted by rarest truck on CR:

thanks chris, very helpful!! do you know if any of those locations are open on saturday? cause thats really the only time I have to it.

I believe they all are. I know for a fact that the West Broad service center is open from at least 9AM to 12PM.

Go early. I'm not kidding.

I am getting my Full endorsements soon but still plan on taking the advacned corse. My dad said it was great taught him alot and he got his endorsement with out even taking the riding test because of the corse.. well worth it

Chris, thanks from me too!!! He's riding that damn thing up & down our court, he has no plates, no license, nothing! Plus 1/2 our neighbors hate us due to the noise from several of the machines (Ricks bike, Marc's Cark, yeah guess I contribute with my vette too). Once he's legal, at least there's a chance? He won't get any tix??? graemlins/jerkit.gif

Originally posted by NoRodStang:

I am getting my Full endorsements soon but still plan on taking the advacned corse. My dad said it was great taught him alot and he got his endorsement with out even taking the riding test because of the corse.. well worth it

I'm pleased to hear this. The more time you spend on a bike, the better chance you have of killing yourself before you kill someone else.

Originally posted by Kohones:

Chris, thanks from me too!!! He's riding that damn thing up & down our court, he has no plates, no license, nothing! Plus 1/2 our neighbors hate us due to the noise from several of the machines (Ricks bike, Marc's Cark, yeah guess I contribute with my vette too). Once he's legal, at least there's a chance? He won't get any tix??? graemlins/jerkit.gif

Tom, no chance he won't get any tickets. :D By the way, you can thank me for buying Jeff's bike before Rick could with a ride in the Z06 this summer. graemlins/grin2.gif

All my friends said the test is pretty hard and one of my friends even dropped his bike and I thought he was atleast a decent driver. They said the sharp turn is the hardest. I'm pretty good at goin really slow w/out putting my feet down. Do you guys think I'll have a problem and what are your experiences w/ the test?

i took it back in september after riding for 2 years on temps lol, i was lazy and never got around to it. Its really simple, and if your already stuntin and shit you'll deff have no problem whatsoever. The hardest part is the figure 8, and its not even hard as long as u have good clutch and throttle control

i would definatly recomend the education courses also. i took my test last year and its not too hard but you do need some experience. the hardest part about it by far is the cone weave. the funny thing is watching guys on full dressers making these turns, and some not. if you know someone who has taken it before have them show you so you can practice. in deleware behind the building they have the course painted out and you can go on it once they are closed and practice.