Install Problem: Lowering Springs

Guest DarkSVT

Guest DarkSVT
I am in the process of installing lowering springs on my mustang fox body vert. The problem that I am having is that I can not get the new springs ( 1.5 progressive ) in. I have tried pushing the contol arm down and tring to seat the springs in both of the perchs with no success. I have also tried both outer and inter spring compressors with no luck. The compressors keep getting in the way. Any suggestions would be helpfull! Thanks

Originally posted by Check out my flux-capacitor:

It should be the same as my Honda.....theroretically rhat is. But you have to compress the spring and put the shock together, including the top of it. Then it should slip in with little resistance.

He is having a problem installing the shock/sping assembly into the car, not a problem putting the shock/spring together.

Guest DarkSVT
Well the spring issue is still a problem, but now I have a new one added. The ball joint press from autozone is too small. Anybody know where I can get a bigger one at? Thanks again

Guest 1qwikgt

There are 2 ways to put your springs in. Neither are that easy. 1 is to use a big ass pry bar put it at the top of the spring pocket, but the bottom of the spring in the a arm and pry down as someone else pushes or taps with a mallet the spring in. This is a bitch and make sure to put a short chain around the spring and the k-member to insure if it flys out it will not break you.

2 is to take 2 pieces of flats steel of a strong grade, measure them a little wider then the spring and bend the ends to insure it will not slide out from between the coils. Then take a piece of 5/8 threaded rod and cut to lenght about 2 to 3 inches shorter than the spring. Now drill the 2 pieces of metal in the center for the rod to run through. about 3 to 4 coils from the top insert the first piece of metal. About 2 to 3 coils from the bottom insert the second piece of metal. Now put the threaded rod through the middle putting a nut on each end of the rod. You now have a homade spring compressor that will work on a fox body. As you impact the spring together be sure to put a wrench on the top nut every few turns to compress some what evenly. If the rod becomes to long just trim some off and keep tightening. This worked on my drag springs it just takes some patience. Be sure to have the chain on this time to just incase.

I use an internal compressor, then wiggle it out of the hole in the A-arm.

there is another way to do it, where you leave the strut hooked up, and the spindle, and take out the 2 back bolts, put the spring in, and jack it into place (its acctualy the easiest way)

A guy on corral has a full write up on how to do it this way..search for MFE in the windsor forum (there might be an article in the tech section as well) www.corral.net

it is 100% different from doing a honda.

[ 19 May 2002, 05:43 PM: Message edited by: rl ]

Guest DarkSVT
Just wanted to say thanks for all the replys. I was afraid that i would have to take the a-arm off... but gonna try everything else before i go that route. My little weekend project has turned into a nightmere. Was trying to replace the rack and pinion and can't seem to get the old rack off, tried to install my x-pipe and broke the header stud bolts off. On top of that I can't get the ball joints off, the auto zone press is to small. Too boot, I haven't even started on the rear suspension yet, but looks alot easier far as putting on the rear springs. Thanks again guys for all the suggestions.