Radio tech needed here:

SHIEF

I posted somethin like this in buy section for a amp, so I'll put it here too. I have a Kenwood mini-disk player (car)and when you hook a amp up to it sound comes out of the speakers fine. When you just try to use the stereo without a amp then you get no sound from speakers. I called Electrasound and they said it could be outputs (inside the stereo I'm thinkin). Starting price just to start fixing 1 output is $220, fuck that. I took the circuit board out of it and saw no blown channels or anything, no weird black or brown marks anywhere. If anyone can help let me know. Thanks- Brandon

Guest BlackS14

Have you ever used it without an amp before?

If so, and it worked, than the internal amp is blown.

If not, there may be a possibility that there are no amped outputs on the unit. The RCAs might be line level (designed for amp use only).

When you had it apart, did you see a heat sink of any kind?

Heat sink? Not sure what you mean by that. As for the other, my friend had it in his car but with a system probably 85% of the time and when he took it out of his car. I know it worked w/o an amp when he first got it before the system and he knows what he's doing. He's just not sure about this. So it worked fine with the aftermarket amp hooked up. I thought about the interal amp, I looked at it but only outside of it. Is there a way to tell whether it's the internal amp or the internal outputs? Can I even get an internal amp for it? If so how much do you think that would be?

I had a Kenwood CD player lose its high level outputs (the regular speaker wire looking outs) and the low level outs (RCAs) still worked fine.

The repair estimate on it was around $100; not as high as yours, but still way too much to dump into a used head unit.

Wish I would have read this thread a little sooner; I just sold an amp and a good friend also just sold one.

Your repair estimate would buy one hell of a used amp. Maybe you can just take half of that and buy yourself a nice amp.

If ya do buy one and want a nice sub, I got one for sale in the Garage Sale section.

Good luck.