1990 Lumina 3.1L V6 issue

Hwilli1647545487

This could apply to any engine, but i figure I would be specfic as to the car typein the title.

A month or so ago my GF was driving back home from work when her car started having an issue. I get there and find the front middle spark plug is completly out. Wierd, but no big deal. I go get my tools, put it in and trq it down.

Today she is on the way to work when it comes out again. I am at work so she can't get a hold of me. She calls AAA. They arrive and tell her "the spark plug is 2 small for the hole, and the hole has become stripped" Interesting theory... Sure enough however the spark plug well thread is stripped and the spark plug won't thread in. I even went so far as to remove another plug and try it.

I personally think AAA boy did something he shouldn't have..but I digress.

I am now left with a stripped out middle bank. I am assuming I will have to pull the head and either

A. Replace it.

B. Have someone weld it in some, and then retap.

I believe this are aluminum heads for what that's worth.

My hope in posting here is that someone will have a "shortcut" so that I may cheat having to pull this motor all appart.

TIA,

Howard

Guest 614Streets

Dear Howard , what a shame!

What I would suggest is to helicoil the hole. You will have to find the thread "pitch" with a pitch checker tool. Heli coil can be found at Pep Boys.

The other alternative is to buy another head. They are common place on ebay and I know where you can score a few from my 60 v6 buddies.

http://www.parkeryamaha.com/helicoil.htm

Search the web to find more information.

Heard is the manufacturer home page http://www.emhart.com/index2.html

Originally posted by Hwilli:

Correct me if I am wrong, but even if I use a Helicoil, I am going to need to drill/tap. This will cause shit to fall down in the cylinder.

?

If you are thourough, a good shop vac with a very small hose taped to it will suck up any debris taht would fall into the cylinder....but I have never had to do this before so I'm not sure. If you can wait, I will find out for sure tommorrow........

Guest 614Streets
Originally posted by Hwilli:

Correct me if I am wrong, but even if I use a Helicoil, I am going to need to drill/tap. This will cause shit to fall down in the cylinder.

?

When finished leave the plug out disconnect the coil power wire crank the engine and have a friend hold a shop vac against the hole.