Engine Swap Dash Re-calibration

Mallard

Assume that all the mechanical aspects of the engine swap are taken care of. It's a full engine, ECU and tranny swap. How hard is it to recalibrate the dash (more specifically the Tach) to read correctly with the new motor? When answering this question also assume that the Tach on the stock dash maxes out ot 8000rpm and the new motor won't red line until 8500 or 9000.

Originally posted by slow4now:

Can you tell us what car and motor you are talking about please?

:D;)

Nothing's going to happen for a while and when it can rev to 9000 it will be a heavily modded motor...thats all i'm gonna say. The car and the motor are the same brand so I figure it wouldn't be too bad.

Usually, the only thing to worry about tachometer wise is that they may not always read as high as you will need it to, however they will usually still be accurate (or as accurate as a stock tach can be). Usually this problem can be remedied by replacing the existing gauge cluster with the gauge cluster from the same car the new motor is coming from. I would have to know more details about what kind of car this is to help you any further. I will guess that it's either a honda or a rotary though......

Originally posted by slow4now:

Usually this problem can be remedied by replacing the existing gauge cluster with the gauge cluster from the same car the new motor is coming from. I would have to know more details about what kind of car this is to help you any further. I will guess that it's either a honda or a rotary though......

Not quite...Thanks for the help. As I said it'll be a long time before anything happens so you won't see my rear end for a while.

Guest extheflow

i have experience with this, and can tell you this. once the new motor is capable of the 9k rev. slap it on the ole' dyno, i bet you will be accurate with the guage but don't worry bout getting a new tach, it's fun as hell revving deep into the red.remember the dyno is always accurate as it's tach signal comes from the plug wire,as long as your ignition is operating properly, you'll be straight,mobile dyno guy can back me up on this....oop, my bad...i wasn't reading the part about the old tach maxxing out at 8k,get a new tach tongue.gif

[ 09 June 2002, 12:24 AM: Message edited by: slideways240 ]