intercooler question

fush

Is there any advantage/disadvantage to running an intercooler which flows top top bottom versus end to end? I've been trying to devise a decent way to route intercooler piping from my turbo and back and the best I have come up with is to route it through a top to bottom intercooler with the inlet and outlet on the same side. If I run one end to end I would have to devise some elaborate tunnel of piping to get things connected which I would rather not do.

The tb is basically directly above the outlet on the turbo, so am I going to run into any problems running the inlet and outlet pipes ontop of each other to the IC and back? Also another option is to connect directly up to the throttle body and bypass the intercooler all together but I dont like that idea. Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

-jeff

Guest powers
what motor is this going on? if you are considering no intercooler at all then a little less efficient piping or intercooler is no big deal. Friend has a dsm with a front mount that has same side inlets and the in and out pipes are almost right on top of each other. doesn't seem to be a big deal at all.

Its going to go in my corrado (vr6). Research is almost complete, and this is one of the last pieces of the puzzle. Nobody really makes a setup for my car thats worth a crap to be honest. Most of the ones I have seen route the piping through a maze and back underneath the car around drive shafts etc.

My two ideas so far are to modify the radiator support in the front and place the intercooler directly in behind where the grille is and run the piping in and out on the same side. I am not sure if there will be enough room to do it this way yet I still need to measure.

The other option is to mount it lower and make a big sweeping pass from one side of the engine bay to the other. In this scenerio would it be better for the air to have to travel farther from the ic to the throttle body or from the turbo to the ic. I am guessing the shorter the path from the ic to the throttle body would be better.

There is also the option of welding a custom tubular manifold and placing the throttle body in a better place, but I havent found anyone who will do it yet and I'm guessing it will cost out the ass to get one made.

-jeff

Here is a stock engine bay

http://palpatine.infinitedata.net/~dayglo/green%20rado/DSCF0119.JPG

I was thinking something like this but rather than using the water I was gonna use a front mount. That would require that custom manifold too though.

http://www.schimmelperformance.com/DSCN7088.JPG

The other setups you cant see where the pipes go but I have seen one in person and it travels underneath the motor and to china and back.

-jeff

[ 10 October 2002, 10:51 AM: Message edited by: fush ]