welders

Guest drifter

And if your weldor (person) gets even close to it with copper coated filler wire, tell him to go piss off and find some one that knows how to weld cro mo. Reason is this Cro Mo has a granular structure, and copper will melt and run in between the granular part of the steel during welding, it makes the weld and the parent metal weak and will crack it internally for sure. I assume that you are either building a cage, or a complete tube chassis. In either case, is there any reason specifically that you prefer to not use mild steel tubing. It welds much easier, can be MIGed and is less expensive. Not only to buy but to have welded. Cro Mo a bit stronger and lighter, but unless you really need Cro Mo to meet spec then I would consider mild steel.

Guest drifter
the reason im usin cro mo is because its going to support the wing from behind the car. and since it will be exposed to the air i thought i would use aero tubing ( it kinda lookes like a wing) and aero tubing anly comes in chro mo. :D

OK, well those wouldn't have to be cretified welds because they are not structural safety welds, but you still need to TIG it, and use good grade filler wire on the welds.

There are a number of grades of filler wire for TIG and MIG welding, ranging from one step above coat hanger wire, to MC grade, which is vacuum melted, metalerigically tested and certified wire. It comes in little vacuum sealed bags and is $90 a pound. Now there is the cheap stuff to. But look at the cost or your materials, time and the fact that these are exposed welds, buy the good stuff and do it right.