my turn...Looking for a Turbo....

Science Abuse

deposited my check today, and found out *gasp!* I have too much money saved up! I must remidie this immediatly! What I've got is a 96 Thunderbird with the 4.6. It makes peak power (190 at the wheels) at 4200 and slopes evenly to 170 at redline. I'm leaning toawerd a turbonetics T-series T72, the 76 is a bit pricey. Can anyone recomend a Turbo for my application? I'd like to stay around 400bhp since the engine is basicaly stock, aside the replaced intake manifold.

Any recomendations?

btw, i dont have room for two, I'm looking for a big single.

thanks

edit:

hjow about this, should I bid?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1838081925

[ 23 June 2002, 03:12 AM: Message edited by: BlackBird ]

I might be wrong, but I think the T66 is a bit big for your application. Not sure, but since you're going with a single turbo kit, only 4 cyl. are feeding the turbo. Low compression and small displacement might make that turbo hard to spool without some chemical spool (nitrous).

I know there are other more efficient turbos out there, but dont overlook a T3/T4 hybrid. they're really hard to beat for the price, and I'd imagine you'll need some extra cash to fab up a exh manifold/header and flange.

Originally posted by Blupastu TSi:

only 4 cyl. are feeding the turbo.

Originally posted by 1Slow7:

Well to clarify.... it sounded like a discussion about using only 3 cylinders to spool the turbo, which is what sounded very strange to me. smile.gif

WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU GUYS TALKING ABOUT!? I've never been so insulted! tongue.gif 4cly!? 6cly!?

Boich, I'm boosting a V8, 281 cui SOHC.

ok, jokin aside...

I am mimicing a kit made by TDC for the 4.6 mustangs. Given that all the tubing is chassis specific, the only thing I could use from the kit would be the T66, or t-76, depending on which kit you pick.

I'mplumbing, fitting, and testing onthe OE engine in preparation for the aluminum, all forged, 6 bolt main, studded, girdled, and ported 4.6 SOHC taken to 8.5:1 and given everything that a T-76 can put out.

I've decided to watch, and bid....Unless you guys know where I can find a T76 or T72 under a grand....?

Guest 1bad66duece
i have some used stock gn turbo`s,but the turbo will be the cheapest thing you will need to buy,if you want it to last you will have to dig deep in you wallet!you stock engine cant handle much boost,but it may be fast for 1 or 2 passes down the track.

Originally posted by 1bad66duece:

i have some used stock gn turbo`s,but the turbo will be the cheapest thing you will need to buy,if you want it to last you will have to dig deep in you wallet!you stock engine cant handle much boost,but it may be fast for 1 or 2 passes down the track.

True... more important than the turbo itself is the hardware/software to tune the thing in order to keep it together.... Doesnt your motor have the cast pistons? If so, you'll break/melt the ring lands off with a quickness with a poor tune.

Guest nevarmore
i remember right there are some turbo setups on V engines with a crossover/crossunder exhaust tube so the single turbo gets power from both banks.

Originally posted by Blupastu TSi:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by 1bad66duece:

True... more important than the turbo itself is the hardware/software to tune the thing in order to keep it together.... Doesnt your motor have the cast pistons? If so, you'll break/melt the ring lands off with a quickness with a poor tune.</font>felas fellas fellas, I got it covered :D

infact, come to the meet tonight andI'll show ya. I've contacted a former ford engineer, current roushe engineer about this. My stock eninge is good to handle about 400bhp, 450 max. I'll spool the shit out of a T72 on the new moter, this one is just to play around. And, as for the tune, I'll have the best possible, a custom EEC reflash on a dyno by said ford guru.

Were I'm about to get confused is choosing and operating blow offs, waste gates, and other such devices I know jack aout. :rolleyes:

Guest relvinnian

Show me: relvinnian@hotmail.com

T-72 setup on your current engine will put you at the bottom of the airflow map. Not to mention for the setup you are planning you are going to have to significantly change the torque/power peak to accomplish anything. Simple fact of life, that motor needs to rev more, and become significantly more efficient.

To give you an accurate indication, I'd need a dyno graph of your engine. Another thing to consider, you won't spool that T-72 properly on your current engine at all, if you design the turbine to fit the needs of a much higher flowing engine. A turbine that spools on your current engine would run out of steam on your eventual project. What's the stock compression ratio?

Email me some plans.

The misinformation in this thread is great! :D

He will be running a single turbo, running off of all 8 cylinders, you just run a crossover pipe and a Y infront of the turbo. His stock SOHC engine can handle 8-12psi all day long as long as it is tuned correctly. Look at TDC's single kit for the SOHC 4.6's, they make well over 400rwhp and are very streetable and reliable.

Originally posted by rl:

The misinformation in this thread is great! :D

He will be running a single turbo, running off of all 8 cylinders, you just run a crossover pipe and a Y infront of the turbo. His stock SOHC engine can handle 8-12psi all day long as long as it is tuned correctly. Look at TDC's single kit for the SOHC 4.6's, they make well over 400rwhp and are very streetable and reliable.

Where were you three days ago :confused::rolleyes::D

That T-66 still looks rediculously large. I dont know though...

Originally posted by rl:

they make well over 400rwhp and are very streetable and reliable.

And they dont have my aluminum spring adn shitty valve body toting 4R70W :mad:

I'll toss up the plans here for all to see and ad input, thats why I posted it the first place.

* indicates what I have already

Alum 6 bolt block* (I'll bring it out tonight, I swear)

Cobra crank (forged)

Manley foged rods and pistons, 8.5:1

ModMax plasma moly rings

Studs and gaskets from Modular performnce.

Ported PI heads

ModMax billet cams

ModMax valve springs

Bullit Intake man*, ported to match

CPR rails

undecided injector size, how big do they get? :D

same on the fuel pump

FRPP or Accufab open bore throttle body

90mm lightning MAF*

Billet fly wheel, 8 bolt of course

undecided clutch, whats best rl?

BnW T-56

Aluminum driveshaft*

FRPP pumkin, 3:73 locked*

Raxles (should I cryo da shit rob?)

Jamex springs

Koni Sports (ext adj)

TCCoA/KVR AP Racing Kit (four piston caliper, 13" two piece HP rotors, stainless lines)

17x9 Cobra Rs*

Yokohama A032R 255/40-17

...and cobra eyes! :D

The headers and turbo kit will have to be fabricated, Not sure what IC I can use yet.

Guest neonfink

Christ, your bird is gonna be built! :eek:

I know a kid who has a 96 Bird, and he swears that thing is sooo fast. I laugh at him all the time, he says he has "special headers", but its just the stock exhaust manifold. I sure would like him to see your car (the tail lights of course) to see what a REAL TBird is. ;):D

Id like to see your car sometime, too damn bad I live in Zanesville.

Originally posted by SOHC4U:

I'd say the biggest injector size.....isn't there a 42lb.

I'll correct ya...carcka! :D

The biggest I've seen is 160#, yes 160#. They were experimental and used on a mid 7 second car. I've seen 50# for a reasonable price, but theres got to be something between 50 and 160. lol

Guest relvinnian
Originally posted by BlackBird:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by SOHC4U:

The biggest I've seen is 160#, yes 160#. They were experimental and used on a mid 7 second car. I've seen 50# for a reasonable price, but theres got to be something between 50 and 160. lol</font>

Actually the 160#s are VERY common place on RX-7s. Since we only use 4 injectors (primary and secondary), and flow alot of air, we need large injectors to meet the requirements. Rotaries also have poor BSFC, but that's another story ;) .

I'll do some messing around with your setup when I get bored sometime smile.gif

Guest ST RACE

Look in to a TE-60 , 42.5 but get 50's or as big as you might need down the road Find out were you stand as far as low/high impeadence.

Stock F-body's usuly use some form of a 60 and run 6-8 lbs boost

Originally posted by BlackBird:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by SOHC4U:

The biggest I've seen is 160#, yes 160#. They were experimental and used on a mid 7 second car. I've seen 50# for a reasonable price, but theres got to be something between 50 and 160. lol</font>

Unless you just plan on dumping in fuel to control detonation, 36lb injectors should be (more than) adequate.... a previous setup I had dyno'd 437rwhp with only 30lb injectors, and was still running a tad rich on the high end.

Unless 500+ rwhp is your goal, I wouldnt go with bigger injectors... especially if you plan on driving the thing daily.

For general rule, use the following conversion:

HP = (cc per minute / 5) x 8

HP = (lbs per hour x 2.04) x 8 (8 = Number of cylinders)

500+? 500 + 150 or 200 :D

The new motor will have the shit boosted out of it, literaly as much as possible.And I drive it as daily as possible, as it will most likely be Fukin awsome. tongue.gif

the curent set up will be the OE engine of my daily driver, SoI'd rather run rich then lean. Also, like I said, the EEC tune will set the fuel preasure, so I wont need to worry about over doing it no matter what size injector I use.