Anyone use Royal Purple oil?

excell

It may actually be better. Mobil 1 recently changed their formula, and there's been a lot of speculation that the new composition is not as good (no proof of course. This is the Internet, what do you want? lol).

RP, Redline and Amsoil all have very good reputations as high performance synthetics. The nice thing about Royal Purple is that unlike Redline, it doesn't look like any other fluid in your car, so if you find purple crap on your driveway, you know you have an oil leak. ;)

Yeah that's all I use. It's pretty much the same price as Mobil 1. The only place you can get it (that I know of) is Jegs, but since Jegs is closer to me than any other store that isn't a problem. I have an old article in a Hot Rod Magazine ( I think that's the mag), that compares it to other synthetics. The Royal Purple tested considerably better than other synthetics. I've also read alot of good stuff about it on cz28.com so that's enough to sell me..

Royal Purple is all that touches the TA and the GTP in our house. The stuff is GREAT! The only negative thing I've heard, was that it actually breaks down rather quick for a synthetic. If you're curious, you can search on LS1.COM for a thread on the results from a Royal Purple oil sample sent in for testing. The findings didn't really change my opinion any since I'm not one of these, "Since I've got synthetic I'll double or even triple the time in between my oil change", kind of people. ;)

Bottom line, get it, use it, love it, change it regular. Most people find they actually get a couple hourses out of it over other oils.

[ 31 October 2002, 09:40 AM: Message edited by: Ryoga Hibiki ]

I'm gonna get flamed for this but generally I change my oil every 2500 miles or after two race days. I know, I'm wasting money but who cares? $30 is better insurance for me to know my engine is happy. smile.gif

I'm gonna get Royal Purple this time and try it out. Here's a good question:

What weight should I run? The car will not be seeing winter except for maybe a quick romp one or two days if there isn't snow and or salt on the ground. Stick with 10W-30? What's best for performance?

Originally posted by Powered by Buick:

I'm gonna get flamed for this but generally I change my oil every 2500 miles or after two race days. I know, I'm wasting money but who cares? $30 is better insurance for me to know my engine is happy. smile.gif

I'm gonna get Royal Purple this time and try it out. Here's a good question:

What weight should I run? The car will not be seeing winter except for maybe a quick romp one or two days if there isn't snow and or salt on the ground. Stick with 10W-30? What's best for performance?

You answered your own question. After going through all the oil testing and oil usage topics, it seems like 10w-30 is the way to go in that situation. That is the weight I've been using in the GTP, and the TA now that I think of it. As far as 2500 miles, that is about on par with what I recommend anyone do anyway (that is anyone with my driving habits). I figure that since my car sees high revs on such a regular basis and is thrashed on pretty hard, I owe it to the car. ;)

[ 31 October 2002, 09:48 AM: Message edited by: Ryoga Hibiki ]

Originally posted by RX7dood:

i had royal purple, my gears started grinding, put in redline and its definately better.

my vote goes to redline, u can get it at passen about the only quality product they have there tongue.gif

Your gears started grinding? Are you talking about the Synthetic Trannie Fluid? That's a whole different ballgame. The oil is great, the trannie fluid I've heard mixed things on. I don't use a Synthetic Trannie fluid since it is reportedly not the best the for the 4L60E trans in F-Bodies smile.gif

Now, for the record, I give Redline props as well. In some aspects I see Royal Purple as the superior oil and others I see redline. It's all a matter of taste at that point.

[ 31 October 2002, 10:38 AM: Message edited by: Ryoga Hibiki ]

Guest nevarmore
Originally posted by Ryoga Hibiki:

It's all a matter of taste at that point.
So which one tastes better? Should I sample it straight up out of a fresh bottle? Run a few quarts of each thru my engine and have a sip after its aged? Perhaps as a dipping sauce? Maybe brushed over some chicken on the grill...... :Dtongue.gif

Originally posted by nevarmore:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Ryoga Hibiki:

It's all a matter of taste at that point.
So which one tastes better? Should I sample it straight up out of a fresh bottle? Run a few quarts of each thru my engine and have a sip after its aged? Perhaps as a dipping sauce? Maybe brushed over some chicken on the grill...... :Dtongue.gif </font>
That's a pretty funny post. No technical content whatsoever, but entertaining nonetheless. tongue.gif