manual transmissions

recklessOP

is there anything you can really do to improve a manual transmission's life expectancy behind a high horsepower engine? any modifications you can make to increase the ammount of power it can withstand? or do you have to simply upgrade to a different (and stronger) transmission..?

i'm just worried about the tremec 3650 gearbox in my mustang holding up when i start boosting the engine and adding better tires...

clutch and flywheel choice have any impact on power capacity? those are easy to upgrade. i just want to know if i'm going to have to go hunting for a new tranny a year or two down the road...

EDIT: btw, i'm looking for streetable solutions... ;)

It's harder to change fluid on those because they don't have drain plugs. There is one hole where you fill the tranny, and to get the fluid out you have to put a tube in and siphon it. I'm not sure about yours, but Ford Racing used to sell upgraded gears for the T-5, and you could buy whatever gears you like. I'll take a look in my catalogs to see what they have.

Guest Foxstang133617

The 3650 is a very strong tranny, with a 360lbft of torgue rating.

When I was at the NMRA race in Bowling Green Kentucky last fall I talked to a guy driving a new mustang GT with a 10psi blower w/aftercooler, which was running consistant 12.6's at 111-112mph.

He was running drag radials and launching at 4,500-5,000 rpm, and he was running a stock clutch and tranny. He stated he had been running the car like that for a year, and drove the car to the track from Michigan and has yet to have a problem.

Guys running T-5's usually upgrade to a tremec 3550, which I have seen run in the 10's w/o proshifting. 3550's are rated at 350ftlb, so if you go by the numbers the 3650 should be a stronger trans.

Just make sure to run an aftermarket shifter, because no tranny will live long when you miss powershifts.

I would recommend a clutch upgrade if BIG power and LOTS of traction(slicks) are in the future, but leave the trans stock. ;)

interesting... :D

i don't plan to drag race a lot, and not will full slicks. just thinking of building a turbo street car with A LOT of power...

guess the tranny should do fine. i still might have it rebuilt before my serious engine mods...

graemlins/bubbrubb.gif

Ditch it and toss in a T-56. The T-56's 450ft/lb rating has been proven time and time again to be very conservative. Hell, I've personally put well more than that through it time and time again, mine is still bone stock (other than a an SLP shifter w/ Lou's Short Stick....like that matters).

There is a reason Ford finally got wise and tossed this tranny into the 03 Cobra (I think they also put it in the 00 Cobra R, not positive). This tranny has been put into the 9's before, and is as streetable as they come (hell, more so than most, figuring you can run some insane gearing behind it, yet still be able to cruise on the highway w/ such a low 6th gear).

If you don't mind the gear whine you can pick up a used jerico for about $2500. I just got a road race box w/ alot of options from muscle motor sports in NC. It's pretty much bullit proof but isn't designed for power shifts like their drag race box.

Ditch the stocker, she aint gonna hold. It might last for a little while, but you might as well sell it while its good and put that $ towards a new one. With the torque #'s from a turbo that input shaft isn't gonna last. I've got plans for a T-56 when the time comes, hopefully the end of this year :D BTW I've seen low milage '03 Cobra trannies going for around @ $1800 copmplete with driveshaft. ;)

Originally posted by Unleashed:

Ditch the stocker, she aint gonna hold. It might last for a little while, but you might as well sell it while its good and put that $ towards a new one. With the torque #'s from a turbo that input shaft isn't gonna last. I've got plans for a T-56 when the time comes, hopefully the end of this year :D BTW I've seen low milage '03 Cobra trannies going for around @ $1800 copmplete with driveshaft. ;)

I was thinking about getting a new tranny down the road. Obviosuly after power adders that are hopefully not too far from my grasp. Will the '03 cobra tranny bolt right up to my '00 GT block?