A couple of "tech"ish questions here

Guest 96bird

Alright I have two questions that I can't get answers to anywhere else.....so I'll try here.

Let me start by saying, I've got a '96 T-bird, 3.8l V6, automatic tranny.

First, I've got a knock that I can't figure out. about 2.5 months ago I changed out the plugs and wires and it started knocking about 3 days after. It only happens on acceleration, or going uphill...so basiclly only under load. I checked the oil and there's no metal in there, so I don't think it's the rods/crank, my flywheel to torque converter bolts are tight, and I replaced the plugs and wires again this weekend and nothing has fixed it. Any other ideas of what I might try? I know it's hard to diagnose a knock, especially w/o hearing it, since it could be a number of things, but any ideas would be helpful.

Secondly....I've got a cyberdine H20 Temp, and Oil pressure gauge mounted in an a-pillar pod. Now this car has an electric fan that relies on the stock sending unit to tell it when to kick on. So if I put the CD sending unit in place of the stock one, the fan won't come on. If I splice the 2 together, I get strange readings in both the stock and CD gauge because of the different resistance. With the oil pressure gauge, if I replace the stock sending unit, it keeps my "check gauges" light on 24/7, which isn't that big a deal, except that light serves also as my only "low fuel" light. These cars don't have a separate low fuel light unless you had a different option package. So my question is where can I tap into it so I can mount these sending units and get these gauges working?

Originally posted by 96bird:

First, I've got a knock that I can't figure out. about 2.5 months ago I changed out the plugs and wires and it started knocking about 3 days after?

umm....spark knock maybe? tongue.gif What plugs did you use and what did you gap them at? If the parts guy said "they're pre gapped" kick him in the nuts, they are pre gapped....pre gapped WRONG! tongue.gif

as for the Fan, leave its duties up tot eh stock unit, you dont need a fan switch, hte computer oes fine on its own. I found that out the hard way. Did you know your fan has 2 speeds?

Originally posted by COLD AIR:

knock = Try some good gas ?

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that....I've tried pretty much every grade of gas from pretty much every gas station around (except BP...don't trust their gas any farther than I can throw 'em)

Originally posted by BlackBird:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by 96bird:

First, I've got a knock that I can't figure out. about 2.5 months ago I changed out the plugs and wires and it started knocking about 3 days after?

umm....spark knock maybe? tongue.gif What plugs did you use and what did you gap them at? If the parts guy said "they're pre gapped" kick him in the nuts, they are pre gapped....pre gapped WRONG! tongue.gif

as for the Fan, leave its duties up tot eh stock unit, you dont need a fan switch, hte computer oes fine on its own. I found that out the hard way. Did you know your fan has 2 speeds?</font>

First time was autolite platinums w/ motorcraft wires...they were "pre gapped" but I checked 'em anyhow and re-gapped 'em to 54 (they were pregapped to about 45...so that was one of the reasons I changed everything out, thinking the parts jockey gave me the wrong parts)...this weekend I put in the cheap autolite coppers, with autolite wires.

So what's this about the fan, I didn't understand the typing there. :D

Originally posted by BC:

You still have not checked the flywheel bolts, gotta pull the trans for that. You did try thicker oil right? And that didn't make a difference?

No I haven't checked the flywheel bolts yet. And no thicker oil (40w) didn't make a difference.

Originally posted by BlackBird:

gap your plugs at 47, see if it helps.

you fan, it has two speedd, fast and faster. Faster is for when the AC is on.

I'll give the 47 gap a whirl. As for the fan speeds, no I didn't realize there were 2 speeds. All I know is when I realized that the fan wasn't coming on (it was the middle of last summer when I tried hooking the gauge up) I went home and changed the sending unit back to stock ASAP....didn't really want to overheat the motor just for a stupid gauge. smile.gif

Originally posted by controler:

I don't know why it would become apparent when you changed the plugs, but might I suggest an exhaust leak? I had a nasty exhaust leak (my own fault) in the egr system. It would create this ticking noise ONLY under load...took me forever to diagnose it.

I've thought about that too, but I've been too lazy to look into it. Guess that's something I could to, just make sure everything is tightned up and check for leaks.