4L60E Transmission.

BigDawg

I was wondering if anyone on here knows how much horsepower a 4L60E transmission can take before it has to have some built internals. And also if it is better to buy a new one than a used one.

I know once you get in the lower 12's a stock tranny wont last long at all. I'd suggest getting it built. Depending on how fast the car is you'll just be constantly rebuilding if you put a stock one in..

Originally posted by More Juice Than Tropicana C5:

God I hope that is off, I put 490+ tq to it and ran low 12's with it. It seems to be holding ok.

The T-56 is rated for 450 TQ as well....doesn't mean shizzle. My car has put down 588 RWTQ, and my tranny is just peachy. MANY people have put WELL more than that through the T-56 without an issue.

Of course, a 4L60E != T-56 strength, by a long shot.

A friend of mine ("STOCK 95") had an auto C5 w/ heads/cam and nitrous. He blew up the tranny atleast 3 times before he totaled the car and went back to f-bods. I think it cost like ~2,500 bucks each time. :eek: He swears against auto C5's, though I have seen a couple fast ones.

I've seen guys blow through 4L60E's stock let alone modded. I think the 4L60E is alot like the 10 bolt in the F-Body, kind-of a tossup. May or May not break, personally I'm not gonna risk it. I don't beat on my car alot and it doesn't see much track use, hell it doesn't see much but the inside of the garage! ;)

Guest stevil
Originally posted by gillbot:

TH350/TH400 for me, havent decided on which yet though :D

Yep, that's what I'm thinking. Or a T56, which would be fun.