jeep problems

copperhead

A girl I know is having a few intermittent problems with her Wrangler, and I'm looking for some answers. I talked to a friend of mine about them, and I'm wanting confermation before doing anything.

It's a '99 Wrangler 4.0 FI, ~80,000 miles

Last night, we met up on Rome-Hilliard Rd. When we left, she stopped by a bank to cash her paycheck. She parked out front and put on her four-way flashers. They did nothing. I followed her back home, noticing that although her taillights were on along with the headlights, the brake lights weren't coming on and the turn signals weren't working. We had a stop along the way and I informed her of that, so we ended up leaving it sit in a parking lot a few blocks from her house (there was a cop sitting around, we had just picked up a bottle of liquor, and she had already been drinking).

So this morning, we wake up and go fetch the jeep. Dead battary. Hook up the jumper cables, let it get a charge, and realize the four-ways are now working. Along with all the other lights. BUT, now it won't idle, she has to keep gassing it for it to stay alive.

My fried tells me that the Throttle Position Sensor is to blame for it not staying running, and that the fuse boxes are very tempermental, due to overheating, so there is nothing that can be done about the lights.

Any second opinions?

the ecu is tempermental try resetting it again and then see if it will idle it may take several minutes to learn. if after checking all the grounds you find nothing out of order replace the flasher if you need a hand bring it by with a wiring diagram and we can check it out.

on another note if you don't have anything usefull to say don't post. this is aimed directly at you rick- stop.fucking.around

thanks

The light problem is most likely in the turn signal switch. I have seen this in other cars and that was what caused it.

As far as the idle problem. If it died, did you have to jump it to get it to run again? If so I would say that the alternator might be a little weak, and when it was idling it was not making enough power to keep everything powered up.

That is the first stuff that I would look at.