Rotary question with 280Z follow up

Guest nevarmore

Guest nevarmore

85 rx7, looks to be in pristeeeeeeen condition. Problems:

-Wipers non functional

-turn signal - doesnt click back when your done turning

-radio (stock) aentenna doesn't go up.

-steering - play in the wheel. Car goes straight,all seems funtioning right, but the wheel turns a few degrees in each direction before the wheels follow suit.

what are solutions and causes for those problems?

follow up, found a 78 280Z. dealer was closed. origional paintand no aparent rust...odd. What does one look for on such a car? Need to go into the dealer with some mental amo when checking out the car.

Originally posted by Kein Mitlied für den Scheißkopfen.:

-Wipers non functional

-steering - play in the wheel. Car goes straight,all seems funtioning right, but the wheel turns a few degrees in each direction before the wheels follow suit.

-Could be many things. Bad relay, bad combination switch, blown fuse, bad wiper motor.

-Bad combination switch

-Blown fuse, bad wiring or bad antenna motor/mast/tube

-Bad tie rod ends.

Originally posted by the Man With No Name:

-Could be many things. Bad relay, bad combination switch, blown fuse, bad wiper motor.

-Bad combination switch

-Blown fuse, bad wiring or bad antenna motor/mast/tube

-Bad tie rod ends.

I agree with all of that but the turn signal switch not turning off. most cars have cancelling cam that flips the blinker off after you turn the spring is probably bad.

Originally posted by the Man With No Name:

-Bad tie rod ends.

Could be something else. My Blazer has had a large amount of slop in the steering (a few inches of play) ever since I've owned it (over 3 years). Never got worse, and I got used to it, so I never bothered fixing it.

When the lower ball joint broke last summer, I replaced the upper and lower ball joints, sway bar endlinks and bushings, and the inner and outer tie rods (plus lowered it 3" front/rear and had an alingment done). The steering felt nicer after that, but still the slop. My guess is something in the steering box. I don't have the money (nor the care to work on the Blazer) to fix it, so it will probably have play till the day I push it off a cliff and collect the insurance. tongue.gif

Just thought I'd comment since tie rod ends aren't always the cure-all to steering slop (I figured that was the problem too, since mine were badly worn).

alot of carfs are equiped with a rubber bushing or something like it in one of the joints of the steering shaft. it is meant to insulate your hands from road vibrations and such. if this part is old, weathered, and has added slop to it, it may result in steering play while the wheels and alignment stay straight.

Originally posted by Kein Mitlied für den Scheißkopfen.:

-Wipers non functional

follow up, found a 78 280Z. dealer was closed. origional paintand no aparent rust...odd. What does one look for on such a car? Need to go into the dealer with some mental amo when checking out the car.

1. The wiper switches are notoriously prone to failure. Search eBay or Partstrader.

2. See line one, although not as common.

3. If you can still hear the motor running, then you just need to replace the mast. See eBay.

4. Rack, tie-rod ends, blah, whatever. You'll be re-doing the suspension for racing anyhow.

Guest nevarmore
Originally posted by Rotarded:

4. Rack, tie-rod ends, blah, whatever. You'll be re-doing the suspension for racing anyhow.

This place is a very bad influence on me. I was hoping to get a car and not mod it for a while.

Thanks for the info guys. If anyone has anything else lemme know, I'm gunna sit on this for another day or two before I buy it.