ford returnless fuel systems...

recklessOP

i've got a 2002 mustang GT with the (variable voltage?) returnless style fuel system...

looking to do some upgrades to the fuel system for a forced induction (twin turbo) project. nothing crazy yet, at most ~400 RWHP (stock shortblock) for now. what should i do? new injectors (stock are 19 lb/hr) are a given. my main concern is the fuel pump...

i've heard of durability problems when trying to install aftermarket in-tank fuel pumps. worth going to a return style system, and how involved would that be? do i need computer revisions to do it?

also looking at steeda's twin in-tank pumps, and an 03 cobra fuel pump. reliability is the main concern, with bang for the buck a close second. any thoughts? prices..?

thanks in advance... smile.gif

EDIT: are the steeda and 03 cobra pump setups the same thing? looking at an 03 cobra setup, and i see 2 pumps... :confused:

I'm not sure on the fords. but dodge uses the returnless style system on the magnum truck engines. my friend went to a return style with an aeromotive fuel pump and reg when he swapped it into a 51 plymouth helps tuning alot to be able to turn the pressure up and down.

Originally posted by Gas,Grass,or Ass:

I'm not sure on the fords. but dodge uses the returnless style system on the magnum truck engines. my friend went to a return style with an aeromotive fuel pump and reg when he swapped it into a 51 plymouth helps tuning alot to be able to turn the pressure up and down.

did he do this with a stock computer? and how did the ECU react to the change? if my car will run fine switched over to a return style system, i may go that route. it'll save some headaches when i get serious with the power... smile.gif

Guest Steps

Go with the Cobra tank and Fuel pump. A lot of people are running these now and have no issues. I guess this combo is good for 650 or so HP.

A lot of people run the Steeda setup as well and seem to have good luck with that to.

Twin Turbo .... :D !!! I want to see it when you finish!!

Originally posted by No Boost For You:

Originally posted by Gas,Grass,or Ass:

did he do this with a stock computer? and how did the ECU react to the change? if my car will run fine switched over to a return style system, i may go that route. it'll save some headaches when i get serious with the power... smile.gif [/quote

yes bone stock motor and computer just put a return style system on it cause the fuel pump and the sending unit wouldn't fit in the tank of the plymouth.

Dude 400HP is closer to a single turbo, a twin setup will easily exceed that. Are you planning more later or what?

I am your fuel system

I am your new computer

And you realize that your stock internals may hold up for a couple of hours before your ring lands break right? 4.6's do not like boost.

I'm not trying to be an ass, Im trying to be realistic. I've had my blower for MONTHS and don't want to put it on until everything else is right.

Originally posted by Mensan:

Dude 400HP is closer to a single turbo, a twin setup will easily exceed that. Are you planning more later or what?

maybe i should explain my plan...

starting out with a pair of "stock" mark IV supra turbos, roughly equivalent to your average junkyard T3 units. the car they came off was pushing about 400 RWHP in street trim if i remember correctly, and i've seen comparable twin T3 setups pushed farther on other mustangs. boost will be kept down to limit power to less than 400...

from what i've read, the shortblock should endure that amount of power for at least a while. 450 or so HP seems to be the magic number when the stock GT shortblock explodes. hell, steeda will sell you a 400 HP boosted GT complete with a warranty... tongue.gif

i've made some arrangements to get a new shortblock together (if i decide to get crazy with the power) in the next year or so, and with modified turbos and more fuel upgrades, i can start cranking up the power. right now i just want to get the turbos plumbed in and the car running properly with some boost... ;)

any less extreme ideas as far as the ECU? a stand alone might be in the cards eventually, but right now i want to keep my budget in check... smile.gif

Originally posted by Clutch Stole My Leg:

im not really a ford guy, but if someone could explain the returnless fuel system?

how do you regulate fuel pressure? is like the check valve in the fuel pump adjustable or something?

if i'm not mistaken, the voltage to the fuel pump is varied by the ECU to produce the proper flow and pressure...

it's an emissions control feature if i remember correctly...

Originally posted by No Boost For You:

if i'm not mistaken, the voltage to the fuel pump is varied by the ECU to produce the proper flow and pressure...

it's an emissions control feature if i remember correctly...

You are correct sir! They use dead-head pumps.

They are not like some chrysler apps that dont have a return line, but still return (they use a regulator in the tank)

Rob

i'm tempted to run a walbro 255 at first. anyone have any luck with these in a returnless system, or know of anyone that has..?

what size are the 03 cobra injectors anyways? i'm looking at a pair of 42 pounders right now...

after a little number crunching, looks like we're looking at about 370 RWHP at 10 psi. i can't wait... :D

[ 15. May 2003, 02:24 AM: Message edited by: No Boost For You ]

Guest Steps
I will be ordering a Reinhart kit soon. Many people run this kit and it comes with a Walbro pump and no one has complained about them with this kit so far.