Interesting question - 98 Civic HX 2-door catalytic converter

Guest 96 cobra 'vert

Guest 96 cobra 'vert

Hey fellas, I need some advice. My brother-in-law has a 98 civic HX, and managed to kill an oxygen sensor, and also therefore kill the catalytic converter. So, my question is 2-pronged:

(1)Where can I find one for him (or does anyone on this board have their old one that they'd like to get rid of)? He needs the cat because he has to pass emissions (lives in Northern Ohio)

(2) is this something that he / we can do in an afternoon? I figure if I can do one on a mustang, I should be able to do it on the Honda, but is it extraordinarily tight in there or anything?? Thanks.

[ 15 November 2002, 11:11 PM: Message edited by: 96 cobra 'vert ]

The catalytic converter is part of the exhaust mannifold on that car. You will need a O2 sensor socket to get the O2 out. Sometimes the O2 doesnt want to come out, so you may have to re-tap the threads.If you don't have a bench vise, try to break the O2 loose while everything is still bolted up. Just because the O2 is bad doesnt mean the cat needs replaced. Unless there is a rotten egg smell, the mannifold is cracked (very very common), there is a CEL or you cannot get the sensor out, I wouldn't replace it. If you do get a new mannifold and you get it from a dealer, order new heat shields as well as there is a 1 in 1000 chance you will be able to remove the old ones without ruining them (yes you do need them). I cannot comment on the quality of aftermarket parts. If you want to buy Honda parts PM me, I should be able to hook you up. Otherwise this is a very simple procedure.

Guest 96 cobra 'vert

This is all third-hand information (from the technician to the car owner - to his sister - to me) but I believe that the tech said tha O2 sensor is bad and the cat is bad as well. They quoted him over $500 to do the job. So, you're saying if the cat is bad, then we'd need to get a new manifold (including cat), O2 sensor, and heat shields, right?

Thanks, by the way, I knew CR would come through!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest 96 cobra 'vert

I don't know if I said this, and this issue just came up again, so I'm going to add to this thread - he indeed has a check engine light, and that is what brought him into the dealership. He also commented that his gas mileage is very bad as well. He also said that there is NOT a rotten egg smell.

All this sounds like an O2 sensor to me, but I want to make sure I'm not mistaken before I spend an afternoon working on it this coming weekend.

[ 25 November 2002, 09:05 PM: Message edited by: 96 cobra 'vert ]

Guest badmuthrfkr

There was actually a recall/service bulletin on that. Honda is required to replace it free of charge.Something related to it at least. Been so long

My friend had a CEL come on from it and I took it in for her since I used to work at Honda and knew everyone. My friend Andy there checked it out for me and told me about it.

Sooo, go to your local dealer and see what's up first before you do it yourself. They replaced her's free of charge.