Ignition Questions???

RedLudeSH

Yea, I would most def agree, I just wouldn't want to be the first one to say it since I would catch a beat down from all of the CR members who just wanted to tell me I was wrong.

I did NGK (stock) high performance wires, and iridium plugs, Bosch cap, Honda rotor.

Honestly I hear way more horror stories from aftermarket ignition systems than good ones. Don't waste your time or money on them.

I think I'm gonna get the Digital 6 MSD I'm not talking about wires and such but the whole big box. The Digi6 looks like it'll give me alot of needed protection for my engine. For one it automatically retards your timing when you spray. It allows you to set a soft rev limiter in 2 stages. So I can have it for to give me a perfect launch at the track everytime rather than over or under reving and another to cut my revs before I hit the factory rev limiter and bend all my valves. (I've hit it a couple times). I was just wondering if there's stuff you have to buy on top of the box and there was a Neuspeed/Accell ignition I was looking at for Hondas that I was hoping Ricky or someone knew something about. Thanks all.

Originally posted by RedLudeSH:

Is there something cheaper that allows me to retard my timing manually when i wanna run spray??? Thats the main thing I'm after.

Yes, Crane makes a timing retard box. I don't know anything about how it works with your application, though. MSD also makes one.

http://www.cranecams.com/import/controls.htm (scroll down)

I run the Digital 6+ box.

I'm both happy and very unhappy with the box. It has some great features, looks good, doesn't require those damn pills to adjust the rev limiters, spark retard, etc.

BUT, reliability of the thing has been, well, less than pleasing. My first box lasted 2 years, then just died out of the blue. :rolleyes: The second one lasted only a few months. I'm now on the third, but I haven't used it much, so who knows how long this one will last.

MSD's warranty dept. has been really good about it. The warranty is only for a year. I sent mine back, figuring I'd have to pay whatever they quoted me the first time I sent it back. Instead, they sent me a brand new unit, free of charge. Second time I sent it back, I told them I only had it for a few months, sent it back, and again they sent me a brand new one free of charge.

Sadly, I think this is a common occurance with this unit. :( Friend of mine bought a used one, ran it for a year, and his randomly died too. His was in a 96 S-10, hardwired. Mine is in my Formula, using their wiring harness.

If mine dies again, I'm done with it. I'll have them send me ANOTHER new one, sell it, and spend the extra $$ and go to the LS1 coil pack setup.

I don't have time to post a well thought out post right now, but in short I will say if you buy the 6AL for your Honda you are throwing money and reliability away. When I said the ignition is good for well up to 500hp, I meant it. Get a ignition retard box or whatever, but don't buy a gimmicky ignitoin box that isn't even needed.

Thank You!!! I'm gonna go to JEEEEEEEEGGGGSSSSSSS tommorrow and talk to them and prolly get either an ignition or one of those CraneCams Timing retard controllers.

You can also find two step rev limiters out there, btw. They're very simple devices -- I've even seen some excellent home built ones that have worked very well.

Originally posted by Nitrousbird:

I run the Digital 6+ box.

I'm both happy and very unhappy with the box. It has some great features, looks good, doesn't require those damn pills to adjust the rev limiters, spark retard, etc.

BUT, reliability of the thing has been, well, less than pleasing. My first box lasted 2 years, then just died out of the blue. :rolleyes: The second one lasted only a few months. I'm now on the third, but I haven't used it much, so who knows how long this one will last.

MSD's warranty dept. has been really good about it. The warranty is only for a year. I sent mine back, figuring I'd have to pay whatever they quoted me the first time I sent it back. Instead, they sent me a brand new unit, free of charge. Second time I sent it back, I told them I only had it for a few months, sent it back, and again they sent me a brand new one free of charge.

Sadly, I think this is a common occurance with this unit. :( Friend of mine bought a used one, ran it for a year, and his randomly died too. His was in a 96 S-10, hardwired. Mine is in my Formula, using their wiring harness.

If mine dies again, I'm done with it. I'll have them send me ANOTHER new one, sell it, and spend the extra $$ and go to the LS1 coil pack setup.

joe, or heck anyone, have you ever heard of it quitting while in operation. i am putting on on the 7, and having it quit on me = bye motor. just wondering

Ricky, your word on Hondas is gospel to me, no ignition I am gonna buy a timing retarder thou and some 1 step colder plugs. I'm just trying to be as safe as possible with my nitrous. Thanks for the info everyone you saved me $300 smile.gif

I am very glad to hear it, I would hate to see you wast a bunch of money. smile.gif

Originally posted by RX7dood:

joe, or heck anyone, have you ever heard of it quitting while in operation. i am putting on on the 7, and having it quit on me = bye motor. just wondering

Well, hmmmm. #1 would work, then decide not to work for a minute or so a couple of times. Then one time, it just stopped working totally.

#2; one day, I try to start the car and nothing. Unhooked it, started fine. Didn't mess with it for a while (was dealing with other problems at the time). Finally got everything situated, hooked it back up. Try to start the car, and smoke starts rolling from it. :rolleyes:

#3 is still working; started the car yesterday and let her run for a while, and it is still good to go.

When it dies, it kills all spark, nothing, zip, zilch. But how would that kill your motor?? That's like just shutting the car off, basically. It may dump fuel, but no spark = really rich. No spark = no combustion = no detonation = apex seals have a chance of surviving a tad longer.

I have my fingers crossed that #3 is a charm. I've been less than pleased with MSD. Their wires, at least for LT1 applications, are pretty shitty. Their GM-style coils are prone to very early failure, though mine is exception to that rule and has lasted. And it seems some of their ignitions are not all that reliable either. :rolleyes:

I've heard Mallory also makes an ignition similar to the Digital 6 as well that people have been very pleased with. But Berto, since you are running a forced induction car, wouldn't a 6BTM be something you should be more interested in? I haven't heard of many people having problems with the non-digital 6 series ignitions (like the 6A, 6AL, 6BTM, etc.).

Originally posted by Nitrousbird:

Well, hmmmm. #1 would work, then decide not to work for a minute or so a couple of times. Then one time, it just stopped working totally.

#2; one day, I try to start the car and nothing. Unhooked it, started fine. Didn't mess with it for a while (was dealing with other problems at the time). Finally got everything situated, hooked it back up. Try to start the car, and smoke starts rolling from it. :rolleyes:

#3 is still working; started the car yesterday and let her run for a while, and it is still good to go.

When it dies, it kills all spark, nothing, zip, zilch. But how would that kill your motor?? That's like just shutting the car off, basically. It may dump fuel, but no spark = really rich. No spark = no combustion = no detonation = apex seals have a chance of surviving a tad longer.

I have my fingers crossed that #3 is a charm. I've been less than pleased with MSD. Their wires, at least for LT1 applications, are pretty shitty. Their GM-style coils are prone to very early failure, though mine is exception to that rule and has lasted. And it seems some of their ignitions are not all that reliable either. :rolleyes:

I've heard Mallory also makes an ignition similar to the Digital 6 as well that people have been very pleased with. But Berto, since you are running a forced induction car, wouldn't a 6BTM be something you should be more interested in? I haven't heard of many people having problems with the non-digital 6 series ignitions (like the 6A, 6AL, 6BTM, etc.).

yeah i dunno what i was thinking. ur right.

i've heard mixed feelings about them. they have some "jacobs rotary pak" for rotaries which i've heard very good things about but, hmmm i dunno whatever....

Guest relvinnian

Jacobs is graemlins/gay.gif

First of all berto you have NO REASON to upgrade your ignition. FC coils are good to easily 400rwhp on a STOCK PORT engine, even higher number on a real port engine/turbo setup. Plugs are fine to around 350-400rwhp as well.

Past that (like you'll go past that anytime soon ;) ), go with a SIMPLE proven setup. 2 hi-6 CDI on each leading, with either NGK B10EGV or B105EGV (race plugs). Stock trailing (no need).