car won't start

Adam

hey just got a 94 trans am today and it won't turn over, nothing no clicking or anything, the accesories are coming on, my dad ran it out of gas earlier today i didn't know if that would reset something or turn something off, anyone know if there is anything i can do

it sounds like something is running when i turn the key on, but this is my first car that isn't from the 70's so i will be learning

[ 28. July 2003, 07:05 PM: Message edited by: Car Enthusiast ]

Guest nevarmore
Originally posted by Car Enthusiast:

it sounds like something is running when i turn the key on, but this is my first car that isn't from the 70's so i will be learning

That should be your fuel pump. It'll sound like a little bitty electric motor running in your gas tank. Ok it's safe to assume you've got fuel.

Is there even a click coming from the starter???

RTFM. Check the owners manual to see if there is an idiot switch somewhere that needs to be hit after running the car out of gas.

I'm sure one of the Toothless F-Body Rednecks will be by here soon to help you out.

tried to jump the car and still nothing

Originally posted by Buck Toothless:

I'd jump it first though.

I'm not the only one who doesn't read. tongue.gifgraemlins/pics.gif:D

yeah i am coming to the conclusion that is what it is, cause everything works except starting the car, it started acting weird when i had it in park it wouldn't start but i would put it in nuetral and it would but now it doesn't do anything

yeah i am coming to the conclusion that is what it is, cause everything works except starting the car, it started acting weird when i had it in park it wouldn't start but i would put it in nuetral and it would but now it doesn't do anything

It's an auto? Well that sounds like it may be the neutral safety switch then if that's the problem you were having.. :confused:

Guest nevarmore

how would i be able to tell if that was it

Try working the shifter a few times. Go from P to D and back again. If the car starts after that its probably a neutral saftey switch. If that test doesnt work then you need to find the switch itself and test it more directly.

I'm not sure exactly where it is on the F-bodys.

Its a switch/sensor that is tripped by a tab coming off of the column (for a tree shifted auto) and it should be right next to the shifter in a console shift. Be sure the car is in P or N and bridge the contacts on the neutral saftey switch then try and start it.

yeah i have tried going all through the gears to see if something would happen and nothing, i won't turn over at all, that is why i am putting my money on the starter, but i don't know what could have burnt it up though, that is why i am confused, i wasn't excessively turning over the engine without it starting, unless there is another way to burn it up

If it isn't making any noise at all it probably isn't the starter. The neutral safety switch allows the Solenoid and starter to get juice, if the switch has failed open you would get the symptom described. If your started had gone bad, you would probably hear the bendix trying to engage, or the solenoid clicking.

Guest nevarmore
Originally posted by iwishiwascool:

I assume you checked your fuses...

Im just a half wit import kid, but a blown MPI fuse did the same to me.

PHHH!! Trying to fix the simple faults first. Damn kids. In MY day when the car wouldn't start we'd rebuild the damn engine and do a body-off resto THEN check the fuses.