Dead sub amp, any ideas??

Nitrousbird

My sub amp is a Memphis 1000D. Has been an awesome amp, and has worked flawlessly for a couple years; I run it 2ohm mono (stable to 1ohm mono).

One day, it just up and dies. Power/ground/remote all good. But the power light doesn't kick on, and no sound from it.

So, I pull it out of the car, and hook it up to my test battery (which is putting out 12.5V). Whenever I hook up power and ground, the protection light blink on for about 3/4 of a second, then turns off, not to come back on unless I remove either power or ground, wait a few seconds, then reconnect them.

If I take a wire from +12V to the remote terminal, the protection light will again come on, for about 1/2 a second, then after waiting a second, you can hear the internal relay kick on, and it doesn't kick off until you remove the voltage from the remote terminal. Yet the power light never comes on.

Both 40V fuses are good. Pulled both, and that caused the fuse fault light to come on, so obviously that circuit is working correctly.

I pulled off the bottom cover; nothing looks loose, damaged, or burned. I don't have the wiring diagrams or the proper tools to diagnose this problem. I know "take it to a shop" but I have no money to put into the car, and if I did, it would be going to something else. This needs to be a free or near free fix; otherwise it will sit on a shelf for a while. :( Any ideas would be appreciated.

Guest mudbutt

Id guess the output stage has probably arch welded itself as those amps have been known to do especially in the early runs of them. I worked at a shop that sold memphis. I saw the same thing from a 1500d that ended up being a toasted output stage. I saw it countless other times from another shop. Might want to check the sub(s) before a new amp goes in. Many times when this happend it was caused by or caused a blown sub. Hopefully it is something stupid and simple, but I think that amp is going to have a new home on the shelf.

Joel