car dieing while driving, HELP!!

Guest kristae

Guest kristae
This is the first time I have ever posted a message up on CR, so therefore I am very new to this process. I have seen a lot of people get car help so I thought I would see if I could get help with my friends car as well. Anyways my friend has a 1991 Eagle Talon and while driving it just shuts off. I had a couple of things in mind that could possibly be the problem but my friend doesn't want to put a lot of money in something if it is not going to fix the car, so I am trying to find some more definate answers. What could possibly be wrong with it, and what can we do to try and fix the problem? Your help and suggestions would be greatly apprieciated.

Guest infamous me 235
battery cable disconnected? thats happened to me before when i had my system out in, they didnt screw it down tight enough and it came off, and the car just died

Battery terminals are a good and easy place to start. If you do have a battery cable problem, your clock and radio presets will clear each time you lose power.

Does this happen when coming to a stop, or slowing to a stop?? Does the car restart immediately? Could be a vacuum leak, caused by the EGR valve hanging open.

Need....More....Information!

Guest White Horse
I think rotarded is on top of things here... The more info the better. Best would be to get the trouble codes. If you have a repair manual for it it will sometimes tell you a simple way to get this. (i.e. getting the car to blink them out morse code style via the engine light.) Worse case scenario is that you go to the parts store and you can usually pick up a reader for your vehicle for less than $50. Most places will charge you $75 to provide you with the same service each time you need it. Sorry if this is a long ass post, if you have any quesions just send me a PM.

Originally posted by controler:

ECU capacitors? (meaning you would need a new ecu or your current one worked on)

From what I've heard they don't just 'die' when the caps go out, they start acting 'funny'.

Originally posted by PonyXpress:

I think rotarded is on top of things here... The more info the better. Best would be to get the trouble codes. If you have a repair manual for it it will sometimes tell you a simple way to get this. (i.e. getting the car to blink them out morse code style via the engine light.) Worse case scenario is that you go to the parts store and you can usually pick up a reader for your vehicle for less than $50. Most places will charge you $75 to provide you with the same service each time you need it. Sorry if this is a long ass post, if you have any quesions just send me a PM.

ECU codes http://www.myzero.com/electrical/code.html

You's get no more help unless you reply back.

Guest kristae
Thanks for all your suggestions and sorry for my lack of info. Yes it is a turbo, we are going to change the plugs and plug wires and see what happens. The car is dieing while driving down the road, stopping and slowing to a stop it dies too. I don't know much about cars, ODVIOUSLY, but my friends I think are getting it figured out. If not then I am sure I will be back with more questions. Thanks again for all your help!!

If the engine light is coming on(shooting codes),

you can take it to Auto Zone and they'll put it

on there code checker for free. You'll also get

code #'s to match.

Since its turbo, check all intercooler lines.

And make sure there tight. You can have one

pop off just a little, and it will shut the

car off.

ar ethere any mods on the , car, does he have a blow valve on it that vents to the atm. that cna cause cars to die sometimes, if they had a bov that vents back in to the hintake stock and switch to one that vents to the atm. it will die sometime. but post his mod list and all that and im sure we can firgure it out, or shout me a holla and ill look at it.

Originally posted by White Supra:

I wonder if it's a MAF issue, or whatever the hell you DSM boys use for air metering.

MAS, and that could have something to do with it. Removing the honeycombs can sometimes cause problems (some cars more than others), as well as venting to atmosphere with the BOV.

Guest kristae
I don't know any of the answers you need right now but i will get back with you ASAP! Sorry for all the inconvienience, i don't have the internet right on hand. Thanks for your patience!!