Help with Wheels and Tires

Guest theweis

Guest theweis

First, i was wondering if there was any harm/danger in mounting directional tires on the wrong side of the car. My current set of tires are designated for right and left side. I know you can go take the tires and have them dismounted and switched so they are for the other side but that can get expensive. I need to do this because i am wearing out my left side rubber faster than the right side.

Second, does anyone know where i can get an Enkei type valve stem replaced. One of mine has been cracked off, but none of the tire/specialty shops can replace them.

Thanks Chad

The tires won't work the way they were intended if you have them rotating the wrong direction. They won't evacuate water properly, and the tread blocks meant to be on the outside will be on the inside. As long as you don't push the limits of the tires you should be okay. You also may notice the steering will pull to one side.

Guest 96 cobra 'vert
Originally posted by Mensan:

Sounds like you need an alignment. Or maybe you cruise the cul-de-sac?

... or from cruising all these damn cloverleaf entrance/exit ramps. I have the same problem with my front driver's side tires on all my cars.

• 2 weeks later...
Directional tires mounted the wrong way = VERY BAD! Not only will water not evacuate properly, but you could get noises that you've never heard bfore. Also, with the tread blocks going backwards, even dry handling can be unpredictable. Directional tires are made to go ONE DIRECTION! They don't really have outside vs. inside tread blocks, as that depends on which side of the vehicle they're on. You're probably fine in a pinch, but don't push it in the twisties! :eek:

Originally posted by WORKTRUCK:

They don't really have outside vs. inside tread blocks, as that depends on which side of the vehicle they're on.

Yes they do. There will be an arrow on the sidewall pointing in the direction of "rotation". If mounted on the wheel properly there are tread blocks that will always be on the inside no matter which side of the vehicle they are on. Thats why they are directional after all. smile.gif

get them swapped as soon as you can, probably louder than it should be. dry weather handling isn't that big of a difference, the problem comes in the rain, withe the tread blocks facing the other way you are pretty much just asking to hydroplane on one side of ur car (not fun).

ask discount tire about ur valve stem for ur wheel, we can get pretty much anything.

Originally posted by bigbabyjesus:

Yes they do. There will be an arrow on the sidewall pointing in the direction of "rotation". If mounted on the wheel properly there are tread blocks that will always be on the inside no matter which side of the vehicle they are on. Thats why they are directional after all. smile.gif

If you swap the Lt Frt Tire and the Rt Frt Tire, and maintain the correct direction, the tread blocks that were on the inside of the Lt frt wheel will now be on the outside of the rt frt wheel and vise versa. If you were to swap tires, and keep the tread blocks that were on the outside of the Lt Frt wheel on the outside of the Rt Frt wheel, you would have the DIRECTIONAL tread blocks going backwards. Thats why it is such a PIA to rotate directional tires. They do have Directional, SIDE SPECIFIC, tires out there, but they tend to be pretty pricey. I think those are the ones you're thinking about.

Guest badmuthrfkr

There are directional tires that are symmetrical, and asymmetrical.

You can't switch sides on directional asymmetrical tires, only symmetrical.