Olds 403 dies when hot....

badasskylark

My convertible has a 403, and the car had sat for quite a few years before i purchased it Ever since i have gotten it it will die after driving it for awhile it wont immeditly start back up but after 2-3 minutes it fires right up. I have replaced the carb and fuel pump. It almost sound like vapor lock? Also the gas in the car is very very old i have put new in but i bet there is a lot of water in the tank. any help is appreciated.

Guest White Horse

I could probably come up with at least half a dozen things that could cause those symptoms just off the top o' my head. Need more info...

Smokin? Sputter before it dies? How long till it will start and how does it run then?

Most common causes...

clogged fuel filter, faulty ignition system (plugs, wires, cap, rotor, coil, pickups?)

Possibly bad fuel/foriegn matter in fuel.

Most other things will make it run like shit 24/7 in addition to making it die when hot.

Those are all good things to check. Something else to look at too. See if there is any rubber line in the fuel line from that tank to the pump. I had an Opel that would "run out of gas" three miles for a gas station where I had filled it up. Found out it had a fuel line that thegas had softened to the point it would suck shut and starve the engine. I would also try siphoning out as much ov the old fuel as possible and then filling up with a full tank of premium and a bottle of dry gas or two. Dry Gas is just ethanol so it's not going to hurt anything to put two bottles in even if it says not to. Just don't put ANY Fuel system cleaner in it. That stuff has a strange way of loosining up every last piece of dirt in the whole system and depositing it in your fuel filter and carb.

oh and for the water in the tank, get a water remover, but get an isopropyl alochol type, dont bother with the methyl alcohol stuff, at least from what i hear.

also might want to check and make sure theres no rust in the tank, i dont know if it was problem for these, but if it sat a long time with water in the tank its possible.