hey does power washing your engine hurt anything really??

Guest 90stang50

Guest 90stang50

hey how many of you use a power washer or use one of them at the car wash to spray your engines? ive heard from alot of people you can and it doesnt hurt anything....but i decided id post it and see what your opinions are. thanks

ben

Not me. I have this thing called an Opti-Spark. It's a cam-driven distributor. Great idea, pretty efficient, hates any type of moisture.

It WILL crap out if it even sees water or liquid of any type. So, no engine power-washing for me. But you should be safe. Just cover your distributor, coil, and wire ends with something water proof or resistant and go to town smile.gif

I'm with Anthony. ;)

It should be fine on your car. But if you're afraid, you can do what I do, and just use a rag and some cleaner. Its tough to reach some spots, but you can use some brushes for those spots.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 5foxbody0:

hey how many of you use a power washer or use one of them at the car wash to spray your engines? ive heard from alot of people you can and it doesnt hurt anything....but i decided id post it and see what your opinions are. thanks

ben<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just leave your car running while you do it. Let it warm up and then soak it w/ engine cleaner and then let it sit while it's running. You can stick a plastic back over your distributor and try not to spray RIGHT at it or your coil. Everything else should be fine..

Since my car is Opti-spark equipped, I DO NOT spray my motor down.

Instead, soapy water and a rag for the really dirty spots. Follow this up by a non-soapy wet rag rinse. Everything else: regular Armor-All and a clean rag; that stuff does WONDERS in an engine bay. Even spray it on spots you can't get to, and it normally cleans them up pretty well. Of course, I'm not overly anal about cleaning my engine bay either; if it looks decent, that's good enough for me. smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SamZman:

Just leave your car running while you do it. Let it warm up and then soak it w/ engine cleaner and then let it sit while it's running. You can stick a plastic back over your distributor and try not to spray RIGHT at it or your coil. Everything else should be fine..<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's what I've always done also, on my BMW 6cyl and my Chevy and AMC V8's. Haven't really done it but a little on my 7 so far.