4:10's replacing 2:73's.......easy install????

Guest 90stang50

Guest crazy5liter
I would pay someone to do it just to be on the safe side, because some kind of lash has to be set and if not done right it can cause noise or problems. Usually the install is about $180.

I have 4.10's in mine as well. I don't drive the car everyday, but I pretty much drive it whenever I get the chance. The only thing that sucks with mine is the lack of overdrive (which the Mustang should have). With overdrive, theres nothing to worry about.

Tools to accomplish this task for an 8.8 would include: dial indicator, white marking compound, press, necessary sockets and wrenches, and patience. If you do not have any of these items or do not know how to use these items, the installed gears may not be to your liking due to a whining noise followed by an explosion of your rearend. The way you phrased your question led me to believe you have not installed gears before on a 8.8 and therefore I concur with the majority of replies for this topic; which is to have them installed by another person with experience in this area. If you have installed gears before then you will know that it is just like any other project. It will take time and effort to install the part correctly and if it is not installed correctly than there are risks that can outweigh the benefits of trying to do it yourself. If you need any ideas of where to take your car to get some gears installed, I would be more than happy to help. Just my 2 cents.

USE FORD MOTORSPORT gears for the easiest install. When ford machines their ring and pinion sets, they do so to exacting tolerances.

On an assembly line, there is NO time to break out dial indicators and mess with shims for each individual rearend. In most cases, if you're going from MOTORSPORT gears to another set of MOTORSPORT gears, you dont have to mess with shims, just use the stock peice(s) (but you'd still want to check clearances to be sure).

GL

Jason

• 2 weeks later...
I'd take it to a professional to do it, unless there is someone you can find who's done it before, and knows how to do it. I know a guy in west jeff, his name is Mcgraw, and his number is 879-7165. He charges $150. But you my need an install kit.