I guess I need to pay more attention to trucks

SupraGlue

I was doing a Google search on some stuff and found this info on the big block Chevy. I had no idea... :eek:

"The 2001 truck line includes a new 8.1 liter 496 cubic inch "8100" big block. The bore will remain at 4.250", but the stroke will be increased to 4.370". The firing order is also new 1-8-7-2-6-5-4-3 and features individual ignition coils mounted near the spark plugs, similar to the LS1 Gen. III smallblocks. CR is 9.1-1 and it uses Sequential Fuel Injection (SFI). All 8.1 liter BBC production motors come with an internally balanced crank, four bolt main caps and redesigned heads with equal length port runners. The 2001 model 8.1 liter BBC uses a roller hydraulic cam and makes 340HP @ 4200 rpm and 455 ft./lbs. @ 3200 rpm. You'll be able to get either an Allison 1000 5-speed auto trannie or a new ZF S6-650 six speed manual gearbox with this new big block. Both trannies are built for a maximum of 520 ft./lbs. of torque.

The Marine versions of the 8.1 liter big block comes in two power levels, a 375hp/490 ft./lb. model or a 415hp/490 ft./lb model."

I believe that I am going to need one of those at some point in the future. :D

My uncle's f-250 has a fuel injected 460, he just got it rebuilt (lots of miles) .060 over. That thing, even before, can pull ANYTHING. It has so much torque it is unbelieveable, 3000lbs in the back, no problem, 6000 on the tralier, no problem. By no problem I mean you barely even feel it in the truck, he does have quite a bit done to the suspension too for towing. He says he wants another old f-100 some time, he used to have an old one before he got this, and wants to biuld that engine for hp and make a race truck out of it. I hope he does it. :D

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Vette80:

torque is what really matters anyway<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

For pulling dead stumps out of the ground, perhaps, but not when it comes to accelerating a mass. Area underneath the power curve over the given RPM range utilized by the gearing is what moves a car.

Try shifting just after your peak torque on a run, then try shifting after your peak horsepower on a run, and then compare timeslips.

I'll make a gentlemen's bet with anyone who would like as to the outcome. :D

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by WS6Dave:

Hmm... think I could cram a 496 under my hood?.... :cool:

Anything is possible with the right ammount of money and patience. I think it would be much cooler and cheaper to just turbo the engine you have in there right now. ;) That would be a site to see though, a v-10 out of a viper might be more fesiable, abliet more expensive, but even cooler. :cool:

Guest WS6Dave
Originally posted by Mad Jack Bonney The Crazy Pirate:

Anything is possible with the right ammount of money and patience. I think it would be much cooler and cheaper to just turbo the engine you have in there right now. ;)

Yeah, I agree. smile.gif

Guest Jimmy
Originally posted by stevil:

WTF?!

I never heard of that... I wonder wow big those are? Hmmmmm. smile.gif

I'd expect more power out of a 496 though, whats up with that? 496 LS1 would be nice. ;)

That would be scary!