Science Abuse

The hard part, finding the biggest one that can fit :D

well, The Hard Part, section b, part 4, lines 13-24. :rolleyes:

I'm looking for an FMIC, just got dirty with the tape measure, looking for:

20" long

7" high

4" wide

2.5" or larger inlet/outlet

I need the inlets coming straight in from the side.

Anyone know the best place I can shop for one? I've exhausted ebay :D

I am open to other ideas though, I'm liking the the stock supra setup, Hua, got your old one?

Thanks

Eric

[ 28 June 2002, 06:45 PM: Message edited by: BlackBird ]

Guest relvinnian

The stock supra IC is a fucking joke.

For your eventual project you are going to need something much bigger than what you've mentioned. Time to do some cutting/moving. I'd guess something in the 750-1000 CI range would suite you great.

If you want a temporary IC look into NPRs and starions. Should work for the low PRs you'll run on that block.

If you have the money, getting a Spearco core and then making your own end-tanks would be a good way to go. You would just have to find a place that welds aluminum, which I'm sure there are a few in town who do (TubeTech comes to mind). If you go that route I would be glad to help make the end tanks. Later.

Originally posted by relvinnian:

Yeah, I can barely make over 400rwhp with one. tongue.gif

Seriously, though it's a pretty poor design with those plastic end tanks and sidemount shape (kinda like a big cube).

NPR and Starion are both good suggestions and could be augmented Starion with a water or water/alcohol injection to further cool the intake charge and suppress knock. Check out turbobuicks.com for info on that. The Buick guys tend to lead the pack on that kind of thing.

Well nuts,how about 2 supra coolers? lol. That actualy what I was thinking of,one on eac side, sinthe turbo will be on the opposite sideof the engine bay as the intake. I've begun the search for more room, but there suprisingly little to be had. The demensions I mentioned above come after having moved a few things. The spearco core idea sounds good, I know a guy who can tig aluminum, I just have to sneak it into work tongue.gif

I was looking at this one on ebay, considered altering the tanks, just bringing the inlet/outlet tubes down a couple inches.

http://ebay1.ipixmedia.com/abc/M28/_EBAY_fb7c0dafe145db9cec3593ecdc5fb928/i-1.JPG

28x 8 x 3 inlet and outlet 2.5 and they want $300 for it.

Two Supra ICs would be a lot of piping, and you want to try to keep the volume of the system down if you can. That ebay IC is a pretty good price, though the welding looks really sloppy (like I need to tell you that! lol).

If you can get someone to TIG it for you on the cheap, I'd just go for a core from an outfit like Spearco, Cartech, etc. Do a Google search on "intercooler cores" and you find quite a few.

How do the cores come? I'm hoping they have a plateof some sort on them already, I'd have to have to microweld around all those coils. I can have a guy at work TIG it for free,but it would have to be a quick job, being "on the clock" and all :( Plus, were do I get the tube stock to make the outlets out of?

zing, thanks slow4now, this is what I wanted to see...

http://toyotaperformance.com/int2.jpg

See the corner facing you, the aluminum bars link together to make a solid (more or less) row of aluminum, you just tig the tanks to that. Rather then having to try and weld the tank to the tiny little coild individualy to make it all air tight.

[ 29 June 2002, 09:34 PM: Message edited by: BlackBird ]

A friend of mine has a porsche intercooler in about those dimensions. Its a straight through design with end tank inlets on either side and rows flowing horizontally.

He only wants like $150 or so for it. Lemme know if you're interested. I'll go over and take some dig pics of it.

Originally posted by Stolen UFO:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by relvinnian:

Yeah, I can barely make over 400rwhp with one. tongue.gif

Seriously, though it's a pretty poor design with those plastic end tanks and sidemount shape (kinda like a big cube).

NPR and Starion are both good suggestions and could be augmented Starion with a water or water/alcohol injection to further cool the intake charge and suppress knock. Check out turbobuicks.com for info on that. The Buick guys tend to lead the pack on that kind of thing.</font>

Actually, the MKIV smic has less pressure drop than a starion with about the same internal volume. The end tanks are a bitch, I've had them blow off a few times.. but you can easily go in and use some sealant and squeeze the shit out of the "finger clamps". Thats what I did, it doesnt leak anything at 25psi now. And because they're plastic and removeable, you can configure the inlet/outlet how ever you need.

Plus, you can get one for friggin 80 bucks... Thats hard to beat for the flexability and functionallity of the mkiv smic.

Originally posted by BlackBird:

Well nuts,how about 2 supra coolers? lol. That actualy what I was thinking of,one on eac side, sinthe turbo will be on the opposite sideof the engine bay as the intake. I've begun the search for more room, but there suprisingly little to be had. The demensions I mentioned above come after having moved a few things. The spearco core idea sounds good, I know a guy who can tig aluminum, I just have to sneak it into work tongue.gif

I was looking at this one on ebay, considered altering the tanks, just bringing the inlet/outlet tubes down a couple inches.

http://ebay1.ipixmedia.com/abc/M28/_EBAY_fb7c0dafe145db9cec3593ecdc5fb928/i-1.JPG

28x 8 x 3 inlet and outlet 2.5 and they want $300 for it.

That porsche IC is almost exactly the same as the one shown, but I think its more like 22x7x4 with the inlets coming in similar to those, but at an angle.