suggested oil for ford modulars...

recklessOP

just a quick question for anyone out there with experience with ford modular engines...

what motor oil would you recommend? i've been using the factory manual recommended 5W20 semi synthetic... this stuff looks like water, and i've heard some not so good things about it. any recommendations as to what i should use? the car always sees plenty of RPM. i do like my engine, but i don't want to spend an arm and a leg on motor oil...

thanks for any help...

Originally posted by Blackbird:

aww c'mon justin, you gotta go with Fram, simply for the Suregrip, expecialy on our cars :eek: Makes geting it out actualy easy.

T-bird 4.6 - Fram PH2

Mustang 4.6- Fram PH8

jesus christ. NEVER EVER NEVER put a FRAM filter on your car. They are ABSOLUTE shit, I know 3 people who have had engine falures related to fram filters.

5w-30 Mobil 1 fully synthetic

Motorcraft 820S filter

I change them both every 3,000 miles. Sometimes you can go to Wal-Mart and find 5 Quart jugs of the shit for like $17.00.

Stay away from Fram!!!! I'll have to dig up the study on oil filters. The Motorcraft filters were surpringly rated among the best.

Originally posted by rl:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Blackbird:

aww c'mon justin, you gotta go with Fram, simply for the Suregrip, expecialy on our cars :eek: Makes geting it out actualy easy.

T-bird 4.6 - Fram PH2

Mustang 4.6- Fram PH8

jesus christ. NEVER EVER NEVER put a FRAM filter on your car. They are ABSOLUTE shit, I know 3 people who have had engine falures related to fram filters.</font>What kind of engine failure, and how were they able to prove 100% beyond a reasonable doubt that it was from the fram filter? What types of engines were they on also?

Originally posted by Renner:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by rl:

T-bird 4.6 - Fram PH2

Mustang 4.6- Fram PH8

jesus christ. NEVER EVER NEVER put a FRAM filter on your car. They are ABSOLUTE shit, I know 3 people who have had engine falures related to fram filters.</font>What kind of engine failure, and how were they able to prove 100% beyond a reasonable doubt that it was from the fram filter? What types of engines were they on also?</font>Maybe the Fram filters had a black hole inside where all of the oil was disappearing to, thus starving the motor of oil? :confused:

Originally posted by rl:

T-bird 4.6 - Fram PH2

Mustang 4.6- Fram PH8

jesus christ. NEVER EVER NEVER put a FRAM filter on your car. They are ABSOLUTE shit, I know 3 people who have had engine falures related to fram filters.</font>Hmm that is funny all I have used is FRAM filters and not one problem with any of the 6 cars I have owned. Methinks that is some old wives tale that circumferenced the internet many times over. :rolleyes:

OK guys YOU GOT ME! :rolleyes: I lied about it! go ahead, put fram filters on your cars!

I can show you pictures if you would like of what happens when a fram filter seperates at 5,000 rpm's on a turbo 302 making less then 60psi of oil pressure.

Originally posted by GRN96WS6:

T-bird 4.6 - Fram PH2

Mustang 4.6- Fram PH8

jesus christ. NEVER EVER NEVER put a FRAM filter on your car. They are ABSOLUTE shit, I know 3 people who have had engine falures related to fram filters.</font>Hmm that is funny all I have used is FRAM filters and not one problem with any of the 6 cars I have owned. Methinks that is some old wives tale that circumferenced the internet many times over. :rolleyes: </font>Yes tommy! you are correct sir! I read it all on the internet, it didnt happen to my FREINDS CARS< and I didnt see the carnage FIRST HAND.

Originally posted by rl:

OK guys YOU GOT ME! :rolleyes: I lied about it! go ahead, put fram filters on your cars!

I can show you pictures if you would like of what happens when a fram filter seperates at 5,000 rpm's on a turbo 302 making less then 60psi of oil pressure.

I still fail to see where you are getting your information from. Like I said most of my family has used them for years and we never had any issues with them much less losing an engine to one. :rolleyes:

Something tells me that they would be out of business if this was the case that their filters caused those blow ups.

Originally posted by GRN96WS6:

I still fail to see where you are getting your information from. Like I said most of my family has used them for years and we never had any issues with them much less losing an engine to one. :rolleyes:

Something tells me that they would be out of business if this was the case that their filters caused those blow ups.</font>

How can you fail to see where I am getting my information from?

Let me spell it out for you.

Step one: My friend has a turbo 93 notchback mustang

Step two: He used a FRAM oil filter

Step three: The filter separated on the big end of the track, the car had less then 60psi of oil pressure at the time, this caused catastrophic engine failure, all because the fram filter was a POS.

Step four: I WAS AT THE TRACK WHEN IT HAPPEND

Does that make it slightly more clear?

Want another? A friend was in a burnout contest (~400rwhp supercharged mustang), and the seal blew out of the filter (fram) with ~50psi of oil pressure resulting in a hole in the side of his block.

[ 09 December 2002, 12:55 PM: Message edited by: rl ]

I always use Honda filters on my car, excellent quality. It helps that I get them for free but even if I had to pay for them I woud use 'em. This of course, is of no help to anyone but us Honda drivers. I would stick to OEM filters thats for sure.

I have never seen these tests and like I said I have no issues with their filters and will continue to use them until one fails on me. I think maybe you guys got some bad production runs, I fail to see how all their filters are crap when they are still in business.

Something tells me that they would be out if this was the case.