88 Grand Am help..

Buck531

Ok, my brother has an '88 or '89 Grand Am with the 3.0 in it. He put a new engine in it and it was working fine for while.

Now when he starts it up, it starts fine.. until it warms up. When it warms up and goes to idle, it just dies. He can keep it running if he runs it at 2000 rpm and up.

Any suggestions?

Originally posted by Akula:

My first thought is vapor lock. Sounds stupid, but if his fuel lines are getting too hot, at low consumption the fuel could be vaporizing. Anyway, good luck figuring it out.

Even if the engine has been sitting for say a day or so? Also, when he starts it, within 30 seconds to a minute it comes down to idle and dies. Hmm..

Nick said something about fuel.. hm.

Originally posted by Buck531:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Akula:

My first thought is vapor lock. Sounds stupid, but if his fuel lines are getting too hot, at low consumption the fuel could be vaporizing. Anyway, good luck figuring it out.

Even if the engine has been sitting for say a day or so? Also, when he starts it, within 30 seconds to a minute it comes down to idle and dies. Hmm..

Nick said something about fuel.. hm.</font>

My first guess would be the idle air bypass valve.

On startup, the computer uses a predefined fuel/timing map (and other parameters, like IABV) stored in ROM, then after warmup, it starts taking measurements from each sensor.