suspension question for dodge ram

Craig

i am asking this one for my father. he has "i believe" a 99 dodge ram 1500 2wd. the only thing i am not sure of is the year. the truck is stock. any way he is hauling approximately a 6000 lbs trailer that has a 900 lbs tounge weight. he does have distribution bars. the problem is that in bumpy conditions the rear of the truck tends to "bounce". he wants to fix this but without ruining the ride when he doesnt have the trailer hooked up. he is of course looking into stiffer shocks. but i would like to hear some suggestions as to what to do or what shock would be best for this application. thanks

Guest ShlbyTurbo
I worked at a Dodge dealership for a while so maybe I can help. Well for one thing he shouldn't be hauling anywhere near 6000 lbs. with a 1500 series truck! It's only a 1/4 ton truck, it isn't made to haul that much, the drivetrain isn't equiped to deal with that much pressure. If he needs to haul that kinda weight around tell him he should look into a 3500 series Dodge. 3500's are much better equipped to deal with that stress.

Guest Kevin Slusser
I have heard of guys putting two sets of leaf springs in to stiffen it up for the load. I don't know how that works, but that's what I have heard of doing.

Ditto the above, but Ive seen trucks haul over there weight capacity, if hes running the 5.9 there wont be any stress in the drive train, if hes got a 5.2 then there might be a little to worry about. But I've seen guys pull that with 6 cylinders.

ADAM which Dodge dealership did you work at???

Guest nevarmore
Someone smite me if im wrong, but I think that air suspension might be your answer. Its adjustable so you could adjust the ride depending on the load.

Guest ShlbyTurbo
Originally posted by Ugly Duck Motorsports:

Ditto the above, but Ive seen trucks haul over there weight capacity, if hes running the 5.9 there wont be any stress in the drive train, if hes got a 5.2 then there might be a little to worry about. But I've seen guys pull that with 6 cylinders.

ADAM which Dodge dealership did you work at???

Spitzer Dodge in Mansfield Ohio

ok, lets clear up some myths first.

*dawns Prof. Marks teaching hat*

In the world of trucks, there are a few designations to remember:

1500, 150, etc: denotes 1/2 ton capactiy. Typically designed for the modern day soccer mom or weekend warrior dad to feel that they have real "power" under them. Usually provides good ride to to lack of "heavy duty" suspension.

2500, 250, etc: this would be a 3/4 ton truck, and is better suited for thos looking to pull a trailer or haul larger payloads in the bed. Most opt for four wheel drive at this point, as the suspension, which was made stiffer so as to provide the extra 1/4 ton of capacity, better handles the off roading tasks. Usually sits higher and may have a bit broader wheel base, depending on manufacturer.

3500, 350, etc: this is the big boy of the group. this 1 ton truck can usually do it all. Payloads in excess of 1 ton are readily hauled in the bed. Larger brakes and transmission components help to deal with the added mass.

Now, as to the suspension problem, most modern day suspensions (apart from cars such as the Supra, RX7, and others) are designed with two usually things in mind, that being rider comfort and safety. The answer to your question lies in either adding helper springs, which bolt either under or over you current springs and provide added ground clearance as well as payload capacity, or swapping a set of stiffer springs, ie: the ones from a Ram 2500 or even 3500 into you truck.

Make sure to upgrade the rest of the suspension as well. A rear end change can gain a better gear ratio, so as to not work the engine as hard. Upgraded shocks and sway bars will help to better control the instability caused by heavier payloads.

I hope this helps. (Actually, i just wanted to see what it felt like to post like Mark tongue.gif )