Engine noise (wine) through radio

controler

Hrm... I use to be into car audio back before I had a car, and up to the 3rd system I currently have installed. But I lost interest, and have been out of the game for a few years. Well I bought a portable 10gb mp3 player, and a rf adapter to hook it up to my stero with. Well there is an engine noise with the rf adapter, I suspect it is in the cigarette lighter, where the grounding isn't that good. I just hooked up another ground (found with a test light) and the engine noise was still present. What is the easiest way to get rid of the engine noise, and perhaps the cheapest? I thougth about hooking the mp3 player up directly to my rca plugs through an adapter, but I feel that isn't the best way to go about things.

Thanks for you imput.

Originally posted by rl:

Ground everything better, use better RCA's.

I find using a 10g wire from the back of the head unit to the firewall kills it almost every time.

I am using high quality rca's, and that isn't the issue because the is no engine noise when the stereo is hooked up, the engine noise only occurs when I plug the rf adapter and mp3 player in. I hooked up a 10 gauge wire from the cigarette lighter to a ground (as stated), and it still did not supress the sound.

"I find using a 10g wire from the back of the head unit to the firewall kills it almost every time."

Not the cig lighter ;)

if that doesnt work, get a filter.... OR just set it on fire. graemlins/gives.gif:D

[ 10 December 2002, 07:19 PM: Message edited by: Jasons TSi ]

Ground noise, this can be very trick in cars, very very tricky (but you allready knew this right). There is the 15 buck fix red tiger was talking about, but it goes in line with your rca's, and you aren't using thoes. I'm affarid you should use rcas, why put an mp3 player through an rf modulator (shit) if you allready have a decent setup? If you can do this I would do it. My guess is the ground hum will still be there, but you'll be runing through rca's and you can take care of that easily. I guess I might need to know more about your system to conjur up some thoughts, I have no idea how fesiable hooking it up this way is? :confused:

Originally posted by The Strawberry Shortcake:

Ground noise, this can be very trick in cars, very very tricky (but you allready knew this right). There is the 15 buck fix red tiger was talking about, but it goes in line with your rca's, and you aren't using thoes. I'm affarid you should use rcas, why put an mp3 player through an rf modulator (shit) if you allready have a decent setup? If you can do this I would do it. My guess is the ground hum will still be there, but you'll be runing through rca's and you can take care of that easily. I guess I might need to know more about your system to conjur up some thoughts, I have no idea how fesiable hooking it up this way is? :confused:

:D I have an alpine cd player connected via one set of rca's to an audio control eqx 13 band eq, that goes into a xtant 4 channel amp where I have a set of components, and a single sub. I do have two 6x9's in the back powered off the headunit, but they are only there after numerous complaints about too much bass (from people in the back seat) which took me over 2 years to actually get around to. So I guess I would just be bypassing them, who cares about people in my back seat anyway :D

Another possiblity a friend of mine thought of way to hook up another cigarette lighter hardwired into the body and see if that gets rid of the noise. <- I just might try it.

Originally posted by controler:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by The Strawberry Shortcake:

:D I have an alpine cd player connected via one set of rca's to an audio control eqx 13 band eq, that goes into a xtant 4 channel amp where I have a set of components, and a single sub. I do have two 6x9's in the back powered off the headunit, but they are only there after numerous complaints about too much bass (from people in the back seat) which took me over 2 years to actually get around to. So I guess I would just be bypassing them, who cares about people in my back seat anyway :D

Another possiblity a friend of mine thought of way to hook up another cigarette lighter hardwired into the body and see if that gets rid of the noise. <- I just might try it.</font>

Yeah, I guess you could just go into the eq. Are you sure there isn't some 20-30 dollar thing you can buy to turn your cd changer input into an aux, i know tons of radios have this option. I think i specifically remember apline being one of them. That's what I would do. Finding a good ground where you think one should be can be, well, weird. I found this out when doing my fuel pump re-wire. Someone else said something about 10ga straight to through the firewall to the ground point the batter uses. Sounds like more work then just geting the adapter and possible the ground loop isolator.

Oh yeah, sounds like a nice setup. smile.gif

[ 11 December 2002, 02:07 PM: Message edited by: The Strawberry Shortcake ]

Originally posted by The Hibernating C5:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by rl:

Set the car on fire, problem solved.

That is the best solution to any problem.</font>I agree. But when you do torch the car, you have to record it and post the video. :D