machinist opinion needed

Guest powers

I have some damage to a cam journal on an aluminum head. I have some pretty good pics if some one can host these bad boys for me. I am tring to find out if the damage is fixable or if my head is trash. Thanks

I'm waiting for the pictures...

What kind of car is the head off of? You can do some nasty things to aluminum heads and have them fixed, but sometimes buying a new head is cheaper. Regardless, Mike at M&M in Delaware is the person to see. He will tell you if its worth fixing or not, and if it can be fixed he will do it right.

Originally posted by BIG PAPA:

here is the damage is this repairable? The cam is ok. Actual machinist opions would be apreciated

http://s87911246.onlinehome.us/dsc01373.jpg

Judging from the picture I'd say that it could be line honed, have the caps milled, and it would be fine. The only problem I see is that there is very little material between the journal and the (what I assume is) the head-bolt hole. Take it to M&M in Delaware, Mike will set you up, or tell you to buy a new head. Something like that is very hard to judge from a picture.

Do you already know WHY that happend? Thats the biggest issue.