More reliable for custom application

Guest blueski02

Guest blueski02

I am looking in the future to put a new motor in my 4runner, something with more power. I know they make a bolt up kit for my tranny for the chevy 350, but what are thoughts on using the 350 vs. a ford 5.0. I am just starting my research so i figured i would ask. Thanks ahead of time.

Mike

two reasons I'd go with a ford:

1. Its smaller, which should help ease fitment/headers, etc.

2. The distributer is in front of the motor, not back by the firewall like a typical 350. If you're going with any of the newer 350's, I believe they have the distributer in the front anyways.

If those factors dont make the swap any easier, my unbiased opinion would be to use the 350, since it has the potential to make more HP cheaper.

Then only 350's w/ the distributor on the front would be the LT1/4 series of motors (perhaps the LT5 too, but that's a TOTALLY different animal, and shouldn't even be considered in most projects due to the extra size and MUCH higher cost than a slew of other motors). The LT1/LT4 motors use the Optispark, driving by the front of the camshaft. It does more than just provide spark to cylinders, however, it also tells cam positioning info to the PCM, for it to fire the injectors.

IMO, there is nothing wrong w/ a distributor on the back of the motor (keeps wires out of the way in the front of the motor....there is enough stuff up there as it is).

A GEN-I SBC is pretty much THE cheapest motor to build, and has the best aftermarket selection of parts out there.

Do whatever swap is easiest. You can get all the power you need out of either a Ford or Chevy. IMO, the only criteria that matters is how easy it is. Fabricating custom brackets, crossmembers, etc. isn't fun. You want a pre-made kit, if it exists. Hit the 4Runner boards and ask.

Also, some people are swapping the 7M-GTE out of the MKIII Supras into those trucks. Seems to me like a PITA, but who knows?

the chevy blocks are dirt cheep and parts are so easy to find it's stupid. As far as clearance isuses with the distributor, there are none. The weight difference is minimal and either way you are going to increse front end weight, so make sure the suspension is taken care of other wise oversteer and increesed body will be an issue especially with a higher ride height.

my .02

Guest blueski02

they did make a turbo version of the truck, thought about doing this too but i want more than 4 cylnders. Maybe the supra motor is worth looking into plus i can turbo it, thanks guys, i prob wont do this for a while but its good to start looking, and by the way i am not going for speed, just power and torque. After this summer the suspension should never be an issue again.

Mike