More DSM questions...

20G TSi

well.... all that talk of swapping in a 5 speed must've pist off my auto. Its done (I think). :mad:

The tranny makes a gear-drive noise and slips. After a minute or two of driving it does not operate AT ALL in any forward or reverse gears.

So, I guess its time to try to find a donor car for a 5 speed swap. I'm confident I can do the swap (about the only thing I lack is patience ;) ).

Any suggestions on some place (0r somebody) who might be parting out a 2G FWD 5speed car? I know all about thepartstrader.com and dsmtrader.com, so any other suggestions are appreciated!!!

SUGGESTIONS ON HOW TO GET THE POS AUTO WORKING AGAIN appreciated also.

Jason

[ 25 August 2002, 12:02 PM: Message edited by: Blupastu TSi ]

If it's really blown then you'll probably blow the 5 speed too, eventually (just my unsubstantiated opinion). So if you are going to do it I would think about geting the 5 speed biult by someone before you put it in, could save you lots of time and headaches later. If I decide to biuld up my red car and swap in a 5 speed that's what I plan on doing (geting the tranny biult before I put it in).

EDIT: I don't know much about trannys so I can't help you diagonis your problem, sorry.

[ 25 August 2002, 03:03 PM: Message edited by: Mad Jack Bonney The Crazy Pirate ]

hey, thanks for your reply, but its not broke because I put insane amounts of hp through it (note my lack of decent mph in my sig...), but because I didnt beef it up before beating the shit out of it.

I just pulled the oil pan, and damn. the magnets were all furry and there were large peices of metal floating around. One peice was probably an inch long x 1/8" wide. :(

I'ma put a new filter on and see if that doesnt help. I think I've got a good line on the tranny and swap parts now, so if not, I'll have a 5speed TSi again.

If you are interested in doing the swap I am shure that you know that you will have to get the rear diff, from a 5 speed because the gear ratios are different from the 2, so make sure that you change the rear diff before you change over to a 5 speed smile.gif Or you will have another blown tranny.

Dan Weaver

Originally posted by 12SecT@lon:

If you are interested in doing the swap I am shure that you know that you will have to get the rear diff, from a 5 speed because the gear ratios are different from the 2, so make sure that you change the rear diff before you change over to a 5 speed smile.gif Or you will have another blown tranny.

Dan Weaver

yeah, but its fwd, so no rear swap ;)

I've got most of the small parts to do the swap (pedals, flywheel, master cylinder, cables, etc...), but no tranny or ECU. Hit me up with a PM if interested. The few people I've talked to that have done one of these don't make a big deal about the actual swap. From what I've had my hands on, it doesn't look hard. Tedious at times, but not hard.

Jamie