check engine light.

Akula

this might be a stupid question for this forum so here goes. The wife calls me and says your car is running like crap, I say well will it make it home? She is like, prolly, and it does.

So diagnostics, I start it up, it runs like crap, one hole is out, so I punch it, it takes a while but it runs up to 6 grand and it is running fine. So I figure plugs or wires. I run to the store, getem, install, everything is fine. While I am working outside in the cold I do the oil, air filter, etc...

So here is my question, it is a 99 Hyundai Elantra it has a dohc 4 banger. when the engine started running rough it threw a code and the check engine lite came on. Now that it is fixed I want the lite off, what to do? Anyone have a scan tool that will work with my car to decode the error and remove it?

all us market cars after 95 use the OBDII system, any OBDII reader will tell you what the fault was and ask you if you want to reset. But no I don't own one I always bum one off someone else. :D

God I hate service people. I e-mailed them and said I want the 60k mile service for my car (timing belt etc...) and that I would like for them to turn the check engine light off due to plug wires bla bla bla. The guy calls me and says he has to verify the wires caused it.

Lets see, engine doesn't run, I replace the plug wires, engine runs again.....could be the aircleaner!

Originally posted by Akula:

God I hate service people. I e-mailed them and said I want the 60k mile service for my car (timing belt etc...) and that I would like for them to turn the check engine light off due to plug wires bla bla bla. The guy calls me and says he has to verify the wires caused it.

Lets see, engine doesn't run, I replace the plug wires, engine runs again.....could be the aircleaner!

It is very possible that the wires were the cure for the runability symptom, but the light will remain on due to other factors like emissions or crank signal errors. You really need to pull the codes to find out if you have some residual problem from the rough running.

If you pull the codes an PM them to me, I will call a Master Tech friend who works at Hyundai to try and get you taken care of.

Mike

Thanks for the help everyone. VW and Audi will reset their OBDII codes if they get 10 starts that don't have any problems. Well apparently Hyundai does the same. The light went out after I started to go to lunch so apparently the codes where due to wires (most likely the computer saw something wrong in the ignition module). Anyway I am taking it in for timing belt on thursday so I will find out then.

I wonder if they give good loaners at Hatfield. BMW upgrades you for a loaner, drive in a 325, get a 330 for a loaner (they call that selling).

I am going to Hatfield, I am dropping it off on thursday so they can have it all day on friday (for a timing belt). They are giving me a loaner, if they take forever with it I will just go for an extended test drive with a new car and hold it hostage. If I have any problems I will ask for Steve Foster as you suggested, I will see what shakes out.

So I dropped my car off last night. I talked to the service guy because I didn't need alot of the stuff on their normal 60000 mile service. I change my oil, rotate tires, as we all know the plugs and wires are new, and the air cleaner is as well.

So he says, "what kind of plugs"

"Bosch Platinums"

"oh those won't work, this engine only runs on NGK"

HUH? So I ask about the wires and he tells me they had a problem in the beginning but they are good now, I say well I just had to replace them so WTF? He says my car must have been one of the first to break and that they are good now.

Then he starts asking me what kind of gas, I say anything but BP. He says that's good, I say well that cannot matter since the dealership doesn't provided the gas it cannot default the warranty. He didn't like that I knew this.

Anyway, I didn't like the attitude that I didn't know shit about cars (actually I know a little). And they didn't give me a very nice loaner, but I guess I should be happy they had one. They didn't have me on their system for today (though I scheduled it with their office) and wasn't sure if he had a loaner (a point I made quite clear when I called in for the appointment).