BOV Question

Lojik

well, word on the street is the valves that come on the 1.8T are pretty crappy, and break easily. I've been looking around for a new one to replace mine. Just wondering what are some good brands to look for, mainly for reliability and too get some noise.

ECS (http://www.ecstuning.com located in akron so they are close) sells a kit which uses the HKS super sequential which is supposed to be pretty good. I hear its one of the only setups out which places the BOV in the correct place so it doesnt cause a CEL. It goes for about 300.00

I'm going to be running a Forge diverter valve on my 1.8T project since it is just a heavy duty version of what comes stock, plus I'm not to fond of the loud woosh anyway smile.gif . I think those are about 130.00. Also another option is the diverter that comes stock on the audi TT 225 model. Its a lot more beefy than what comes on the vw models of the engine due to the higher output of the audis engine. Those can be had for about 20 bucks. Also with that if you have a warranty on your car they wont be able to tell you did any modifications (and then proceed to void your powertrain warranty). Let me know if you want one of those and I can get you setup with a dealer parts discount most likely.

If you are running stock boost the stock diverter should be fine, you're only going to see surging problems and possibly failure when you get chipped.

-jeff

ECS is selling them for 129.95 which is the lowest I've seen so far. You should check out their website.

http://www.ecstuning.com

Also check out matrix engineering they sell the forge stuff but I couldn't find their price sheet. I've dealt with these guys before and all I can say is customer service A++ all the way.

http://www.matrixengineering.cc

I can only get deals on dealer parts I don't have any good hookup on aftermarket stuff. Also you may want to remember if you change stuff like this VW can/has been know to void your warranty.

-jeff

Guest sphen02

the HK$ ssqbov is expensive as shit but it sounds awesome and from what ive heard is reliable....but theyre really pricy..but then again it is made by HK$

[ 30 August 2002, 06:36 PM: Message edited by: sphen02 ]

• 2 weeks later...

well... your warranty from vw goes as follows any modifications you do to your car DO NOT void your warranty. vw would have to PROVE that the mod you made caused your failure. if they can't your in the good. I had them replace some items they said were out of warranty but with a little convincing they took care of it.

HKS blow off valve didn't cause your tanny to fall out. I guess

Guest 96 cobra 'vert
Originally posted by Hua:

Are you sure you don't need a diverter valve as opposed to a blow-off valve on your VW?

Yeah, I think that it's a diverter valve or "bypass" valve... but I could be wrong, I don't own a 1.8t anymore.

Yes the car does have a diverter valve on it stock. There are a few places who make BOV kits for the car though and claim they dont cause any problems. I hear the best things about the ECS kit that uses the HKS super sequential and ECS also says you wont throw any weird codes with their setup so hopefully you wont have any issues if you have to take the car into the stealer for service. Unless you're planning to go wild and do a turbo upgrade or something I say get the 30 dollar audi TT225 diverter valve and be done with it.

-jeff